Topic: water pump rebuild

ramin    -- 05-04-2011 @ 8:38 AM
  Hello everyone, I was wondering if you any one out there that will rebuild fatheads water pump. location does not matter, always can ship.
Thank you,
R

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-04-2011 @ 12:50 PM
  Skip Haney in Florida. He can be reached at skip@fordsrus.com.
he uses bushing instead of bearing,
if you have a bearing pump and the seal leaks, the water pump self destructs,this is what he will tell you,
there are not to many modern water pumps using bearings in them, why use bearing that might have a problem,
Skip also uses high output water impellers,
be besure to get his special valve for the overflow,
this will contain the coolant and also prevent overheating,,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 5-9-11 @ 4:24 PM

JM    -- 05-05-2011 @ 6:22 AM
  I put Skip Haney rebuilt pumps and pressure release value on my '35 sedan two years ago. Best thing I ever did for my old Ford. Completely stopped loss of coolant and reduce operating temperature of engine by 20*. I drive every where now with no concerns of over heating.

JM

supereal    -- 05-05-2011 @ 10:16 AM
  It is true that the early ball bearing water pumps had problems, but times have changed and modern sealed bearings are not subject to the same destruction. The primary cause of pump bushing failure was, and is, overtightening of the drive belt, in combination with a primitive oiling system. If you convert to an alternator with a pulley small enough to run it, the later style pumps are a necessity to prevent belt slippage. Many vee belts sold today have an incorrect pitch angle, and tend to slip under load unless they are very tight.

wmsteed    -- 05-07-2011 @ 10:52 AM
  Interesting point Super brought out about belt tension on Early V8's.. The proper belt tension on the old cars was always 1/2"-3/4" of slack. With the introduction of alternators the belts have to be very tight.. No slack.
Applying new technology to old machinery can cause lots of problems...
How much slack does your fan belt have?

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 05-07-2011 @ 1:16 PM
  Bill: We had to make a smaller pulley for our alternator, which requires a very tight belt due to the smaller contact area. That is another reason we fabricated a ball bearing fan hub. Wide V belts with the proper side angles are getting hard to find. Many vendors sell the wrong belts which don't grip the pulley sides properly, or bottom in the pulley before the sides are in contact. Anyone having belt problems with the usually recommended slack probably have the wrong type.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=3011