Topic: 1950 Ford V8 custom

Mvarriale    -- 05-02-2011 @ 9:34 AM
  First... Hello

We had a great 'barn find'. We found and bought a 1950 Ford V8 custom thats been sitting in a barn since 1970. Parked and forgotten for 40+ years. Over all great shape. needs chrome and engine work and a lot of TLC. Well since is was parked for so long the keys were lost. So can anyone tell me how to get new keys? Also the trunk is locked. Does anyone know how to open it without breaking it? Last can anyone tell me where to go and get information based on the vin number?

Thanks
Mike

carguy    -- 05-02-2011 @ 9:52 AM
  Congratulations on your find.

Re the keys, I would call a local locksmith and have him make you new keys. Ignition and doors should be alike and trunk and glove box should match.

I can't help re the vin number info question.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

Mvarriale    -- 05-02-2011 @ 10:17 AM
  anyone know how to take the rear seat out?

carcrazy    -- 05-02-2011 @ 10:32 AM
  To remove the rear seat: push back on the lower seat cushion about a foot inside of each edge until you have allowed the wire framework of the cushion to clear the hooked areas on the floor that retain the cushion in place; then lift up on the front edge of the cushion to lift the cushion out of the car; once the lower cushion is out, you will see two bolts that hold the rear or back seat cushion in place; remove these two bolts and lift up on the rear cushion to unhook it from the upper retaining hooks; you will now be able to remove the rear cushion from the car. Since the car has been sitting for awhile it may take some patience and some penetrating oil to remove the bolts. Good luck.

OldIron    -- 05-02-2011 @ 11:56 AM
  Mike, Congratulations on your purchase! I hope you get a lot of enjoyment in fixing and driving your "new" car. The key numbers on a 50 Ford are contained in the cowl code. These are the numbers generally stamped in the center of the cowl. The Club has an excellent book on 49-51 Fords but, if you print the cowl code one of us could help you. It will tell you the assemble plant, model, original color, interior and date of assembly.

Mvarriale    -- 05-02-2011 @ 1:46 PM
  anyone know how to take the rear seat out?

Mvarriale    -- 05-02-2011 @ 1:52 PM
  I'm not sure why that repeated. please ignore. I will try and remove the seat tonight and send the code. THANKS EVERYONE. Boys and I are eager to start.

Mvarriale    -- 05-02-2011 @ 8:40 PM
  Hello Oldiron

Thanks. The number is very hard to read but this is what we think we have 5373B D12j202 we could be off. Like I said it was hard to read

The serial number is BOE6164502.

Any information would be great

Carcrazy Seats are out. THANKS. even found a key but its not for the car.

Thanks

This message was edited by Mvarriale on 5-2-11 @ 9:11 PM

trjford8    -- 05-03-2011 @ 7:39 AM
  You can also find the serial number on the frame. It's on the angle brace that runs from the right side front of the frame towards the front crossmember. It's a stamped number.

deluxe40    -- 05-03-2011 @ 9:46 AM
  Looking first at the serial number:

B = V8
0 = 1950
EG = Edgewater, Michigan assembly plan (assuming the 6 is a G)
164502 = serial number with 100001 being the first car produced.

The cowl code is tougher - there were several variations with some transpositions. Look for "73B" for Custom Deluxe Fordor, "EG" which is the assembly plant code (same as in serial number),"B" for Sheridan Blue paint, "D" for Custom Deluxe Broadcloth Interior, or "C" for Custom Deluxe Mohair. The "D" toward the end likely means "April" with the "12j202" being an obscure assembly plant sequence number.

Better yet, order the 1949-50-51 Ford Book, available on this website, and enjoy decoding these numbers plus the tags on the glass and learning all about your car and how it came from the factory.

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 5-3-11 @ 9:50 AM

Mvarriale    -- 05-03-2011 @ 12:20 PM
  WOW!!!! Great THANKS

Mvarriale    -- 05-07-2011 @ 12:07 PM
  SOS.. we pulled the carpet and found a bad patch job. Mostly rusted out floor boards, Anyone know if these can be replaced? If so can we buy aftermarket?

Thanks
Mike

supereal    -- 05-07-2011 @ 1:10 PM
  Finding rust holes in the floorpans of old cars is uaual. The first thing we do when examining a car is to pull the carpets and the trunk mat to check for rust. To replace an entire floor pan, usually the body must be removed from the frame. Patches, when properly done, work well and, of course, the floor mat or carpet hides them. If the rust has advanced into the door sills or other structural components, it is a job for the pros, and if patch panels can't be found, a donor car may be the answer. We patch with galvanized panels. After placing sealer around the edges, we usually pop rivet them into place because wire welding rusty metal often isn't practical. I wish I could be more optimistic, but extended rust damage is a very expensive "fix".

grandpasshoebox    -- 05-07-2011 @ 6:02 PM
  Yes - aftermarket pans are available - try EMS Automotive or Bradley Floor Pans. Don't have to pull the body if the floor supports are solid.

Mvarriale    -- 05-08-2011 @ 9:38 AM
  Thank you grandpasshoebox, Thank you very much. I know holes and rust can be expected in old cars, I know thats why you pull rugs. We didn't so we made a mistake, the body is amazing for a 70 year old car.

As a dad when your 15 year old son says I want to give it a try you don't say no... You try to make him see reason but I gave in,

Grandpasshoebox thank you for you info, We will be looking for the floor panels. We are moving forward with this project and I am sure it will turn out great if everyone is as helpful as you.

Does anyone live in South Carolina? We would like a second opinion.

Grandpasshoebox Thank you. Mike

This message was edited by Mvarriale on 5-8-11 @ 6:08 PM

Mvarriale    -- 05-08-2011 @ 5:53 PM
  Thank you grandpasshoebox, Thank you very much. I know holes and rust can be expected in old cars, I know thats why you pull rugs. We didn't so we made a mistake, the body is amazing for a 70 year old car.

As a dad when your 15 year old son says I want to give it a try you don't say no... You try to make him see reason but I gave in,

Grandpasshoebox thank you for you info, We will be looking for the floor panels. We are moving forward with this project and I am sure it will turn out great if everyone is as helpful as you.

Does anyone live in South Carolina? We would like a second opinion.

Grandpasshoebox Thank you. Mike

Mvarriale    -- 05-08-2011 @ 6:08 PM
  Sorry all, I must be doing something wrong, my reply posted twice again. Sorry

So we contacted Bradley Floor pans and we were pleasantly surprised. We were very depressed when we saw the floor damage but now feel like we dogged a bullet and are excited again.

We also looked at EMS; lots of stuff we are going to need.

Thanks again Grandpasshoebox for the info do you have info on replacement windows??

THANKS
Mike

This message was edited by Mvarriale on 5-8-11 @ 6:10 PM

grandpasshoebox    -- 05-09-2011 @ 6:35 AM
  For windows, I'd call Shoebox Ford 1-800-732-6029. You also might want to check out their website - shoeboxford.com - there's a forum on there also and lots of good info for 49 - 51 fords

This message was edited by grandpasshoebox on 5-9-11 @ 6:38 AM

Mvarriale    -- 05-09-2011 @ 6:52 AM
  Who was that masked man. On his white horse to save the day again. THANKs

Mvarriale    -- 05-15-2011 @ 6:19 PM
  Hi All,

We are making slow but steady progress. We've located floor boards thanks to Grandpasshoebox. We still can not find a trunk floor or wheel well. I've tried contacting a few places without success. confident we can rebuild the body we are moving on to the engine. The old girl hasn't moved in 30+ years so we are unsure which way to go. It is the original engine, should we rebuild or replace? If we rebuild we are thinking on using a local guy. I am leaning towards rebuilding but could be pushed either way. We were told to replace the front end (mustang rack), brakes ( power assist rotors instead of the drums) and a different steering column (something other than solid in case of an accident). Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

This message was edited by Mvarriale on 5-15-11 @ 6:20 PM

proxie35    -- 05-16-2011 @ 5:16 AM
  Mike, if you will send your ph# I'd like to talk with
you. I have parted out 4 50 4drs. I'm in Al. We'll be having a convention in Pigeon Forge Tn. June 1-4.
fordpontiacman@msn.com Sherrel

ford38v8    -- 05-16-2011 @ 12:06 PM
  Mike, Where you go from here is entirely your decision. Your car, your money, your hobby. If you enjoy hotrods more than original cars, fine, go for it. You ask for input, however, so here's mine:

If you want a muscle car, buy a muscle car. The old Ford Flathead was great in its time, but that was then. I'd stick with what you have or go buy something with power built in. Same with steering and suspension. Your car is an antique, you wouldn't treat antique furniture the way you've been told to do your antique car, would you? If you can't appreciate the value of an antique without modernizing it, why buy an antique in the first place?

To answer in advance to those who will respond with modifications for safety reasons, these cars are basically parade cars, people pleasers, wherever they go they are on parade. There are so many unsafe features about them that if one were in a high speed accident, the odds of survival are slim regardless of how many safety devices you install. Drive your car defensively is the best investment in safety you can get.

Alan

TomO    -- 05-17-2011 @ 7:48 AM
  Mike, any changes that you make from stock, could bring you more problems in the future. A stock 50 Ford is an enjoyable car to drive and people love to look at a stock engine as they see so many of the 302 and 350's in all types of cars.

As Alan said, it is your car and make any changes that you want to, but as one who has been driving his stock car for more than 30 years, I can say that it is more fun that any hot rod or modified that I had when I was a teenager.

Tom

trjford8    -- 05-17-2011 @ 10:33 AM
  Mike, if you are new to the hobby and early Ford V-8s you should stick with building a stock car. It's much easier to follow that direction than to begin making modifications. From personal experience one modification can lead to others just to make things fit. Making modifications would not be a good first step for someone new to the hobby. Stay with the plan to leave it stock. I think once you have it running you will not want to make changes. Your first project is a learning experience and you don't want to make it complicated.

Mvarriale    -- 05-20-2011 @ 7:40 AM
  Thanks to everyone for replying. We would like to keep it stock. That was/is our intention jut that the pros in our area were making me nervous that it would be dangerous. We bought this car because it was never touched, it was/is a virgin.

My son is like a kid, well he is a 15 year old kid He bought fuzzy dice the other day and has a color picked out. He want this car stock and ready for his prom in 3 years.

We are eager to get the engine going. Any suggestions on what to do first. Should we pull her out or try to get her to turn over first? Since the system is a 6v system can we use a 12v battery to try and turn her? What about the fact the engine was designed to run on leaded fuel and all we can get is unleaded? Then there is the issue with the oil. We were told the oil manufactured today will not work in this engine.

Oh yeah... We are very new to this type of stuff. I am a DBA by trade and can do construction work. The last car I worked on was a 1976 Monte Carlo back in 1978

Thank you all for taking the time to answer.

TomO    -- 05-20-2011 @ 8:19 AM
  Since the car was parked for 42 years, there might be something wrong with the engine. The likelihood of having a good running engine without a rebuild is very slight. I would not use a 12 volt battery to try to start the car. A 6 volt battery should turn the engine over fast enough to start the car.

I would:
1) remove all spark plugs and pour a few table spoons of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and let it set for a couple of days. Then try to turn the engine over by putting a socket wrench on the nut that holds the pulley to the crankshaft. If that doesn't work, you will probably end up pulling the engine to have it rebuilt.

If that works, try the starter with a 6 volt battery and perform a compression test. You are very likely to have some stuck valves due to the long storage. The stuck valves can be freed up by removing the intake manifold and heads, then use a good penetrating oil to soak the valve stems.

If you have good compression, replace the plugs and try to start the engine using an auxiliary gas tank and gravity feed to the carburetor. The original tank may have considerable debris and rust.

2) replace all wheel cylinders, brake lines and brake shoes. This way you will know that you have good brakes when the car is running.

3)install a new wiring harness to eliminate the chances of a fire caused by a short circuit.

4) remove the gas tank for a good cleaning and inspection. If there is rust visible in the tank, coat it with one of the new alcohol resistant coatings. Re-install the tank, inspect the steel gas line for rust and replace the flexible gas line and fuel pump with new parts that are resistant to alcohol.

5) check all steering components for wear and replace any worn parts.

The current oils and gas are fine for your car. The alcohol content in the new gas can destroy the older rubber parts, most flathead engine had hardened seats installed at the factory and the flathead engines do not stress the valve lifters enough to require additional additives. These engines were designed and built before the additives for camshaft wear were incorporated into the general market for oil.

Tom

Mvarriale    -- 05-20-2011 @ 7:06 PM
  Thanks Tom, marvel is in (2tbl spoons each plug). We don't want to run her we just want to see if she will turn. Turning with the breaker bar would be fine.

Now I know we may look like we are going in different directions but we have 2days to wait for the oil to work. The car didn't come with keys. Does any one know how to get the iginition cylinder out
?

TomO    -- 05-22-2011 @ 5:46 PM
  If I remember correctly, you have to have the key in order to remove the cylinder. You will have to remove the entire switch assembly and take it to a locksmith.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2993