Topic: Steering Box Removal

Dolman    -- 05-01-2011 @ 2:06 PM
  Please tell me that the steering box from a '34 pickup will come out without pulling the engine. Just finished an underside study and it looks to me that even with the exhaust manifold removed, the sector shaft won't clear the hole in the frame. Maybe it's a two piece operation?

My symptoms are a pronounced shimmy after hitting frost heaves and there is about 5" of play in the steering wheel. There is no movement of the wheels while attempting to rock them top to bottom, but there is about an inch or so of movement when rocking from side to side and the drag link and pitman arm move proportionally. Seems like maybe the steering box is a mess and needs to be rebuilt and I'll be looking for rebuilder. Might be able to do it myself but I would be in way over my head. Come to think of it, that's the way I learned to swim.

Looking forward to comments from the gurus.

Stroker    -- 05-01-2011 @ 3:33 PM
  Dolman: I replaced my 32 PU steering with a 56 PU steering in the early 60's. As I recall, I was able to remove it by taking out the floorboards, disconnecting the steering mast from the dash,
and of course pulling the pitman arm and steering wheel. I believe I was able to rotate it past
the engine (with left hand manifold), and drop it down into the service pit that I working over.

If it was me, I wouldn't attempt to rebuild the stock box unless you are building a concourse vehicle.

Dolman    -- 05-01-2011 @ 6:40 PM
  Thanks for the encouragement, Stroker. I'm not interested in concourse, just want to keep my fillings. What sort of cutting and pasting is involved with installing a '56 box? I wouldn't be lucky enough for it to be a drop in.

Stroker    -- 05-02-2011 @ 6:35 AM
  Well, it's been 50 years....but as I recall, I disassembled the 32 box,56 box, and took the steering
shafts to a local machine shop, which cut a few inches off of the 56 shaft, and machined a taper,
keyway and threads to match the 32. I then reassembled the 56 box and installed the 32 mast jacket. I had to slightly elongate one frame bolt hole in order to mount the box to the frame, but everything went back together with the 32 steering wheel, 32 pitman arm etc. It was like instant "power steering" compared to the 32, but of course the 56 box was only about 5 years old when I got it from the salvage yard. I'm not sure today where you would find a "cherry" 56 Ford pickup steering box.

I'm sure there are many other options, such as a Vega or Corvair recirculating-ball box that would
be even better, albeit a little more involved to mount. Hopefully someone who has recently upgraded their early 30's steering will chime-in.

TomO    -- 05-02-2011 @ 7:03 AM
  Dolman,

Before removing the steering box, just jack up one wheel and try to move it side to side. Any movement will be from looseness in the tie rod and drag link ends. Repair these items before you rebuild your steering box.

Tom

35ragtop    -- 05-03-2011 @ 1:02 PM
  Hi Dolman
I agree with Tom 0 check where the movement is coming from first.
If you do have to replace the box check out 37 s as this was a big improvement in design (self centering too ) and fits a lot easier with minimal modifications.

Stroker    -- 05-03-2011 @ 2:23 PM
  35 Ragtop:

Isn't a 37 a "cross-steer" box? Dolman's 34 Pickup would need a box with a fore/aft
pitman arm located on the outside of the frame rail.

Dolman    -- 05-03-2011 @ 7:11 PM
  Stroker, you're correct. The pitman arm is on the outside of the frame rail. I jacked up one wheel and rocked the wheel in the horizontal plane. There is movement but not as much as with both wheels up. So, who can point me to instructions as to how to replace or repair the tie rod and drag link?

TomO    -- 05-04-2011 @ 7:56 AM
  My understanding is that the 32 tie rod ends and drag link ends are rebuild-able and that there are kits available from the major parts suppliers. Check with C & G

Tom

1932BB    -- 05-04-2011 @ 10:47 AM
  Richard, You didn't indicate if you have tried to adjust the steering box. There are three adustments covered well in the Ford 32 to 36 chassis repair manual that can be performed without removing the steering box.

Dolman    -- 05-04-2011 @ 11:08 AM
  I have the adjustment instructions and will try that before dismantling the drag link and tie rod. On the other hand, I might do both to help relieve the boredom of not having a job.

Dolman    -- 05-05-2011 @ 2:48 PM
  TomO, Tnanks for your counsel regarding the drag link and tie rod ends. Just finished removing them and found all of the ball joints in bad shape. I don't think it had been lubed in 50 years.

TomO    -- 05-07-2011 @ 7:35 AM
  Dolman, you are welcome. Ford steering boxes are pretty sturdy and if kept properly lubricated with transmission fluid do not give problems. It is difficult to check out the play in the steering box when there is play in the rest of the steering system.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2987