Topic: CORRECT LOOKING AIR CLEANER

SDExpoman    -- 04-26-2011 @ 8:47 AM
  I am looking for ideas for an air cleaner I can use on my '37 pickup. I would like to keep the stock look, even though I have an 8BA motor. Being new to the hobby I am uncertain of available options. All I know is that the aftermarket chrome unit I am currently using is not appealing to me in the least.

alanwoodieman    -- 04-26-2011 @ 9:18 AM
  a lot of guys, including me, take an original air cleaner and adapt a paper elemnent to it. My Mer engine runs a rochester carb and I found a vitage chevy oil bath and converted it. You can also do the same with an original dry air cleaner.

Stroker    -- 04-26-2011 @ 1:12 PM
  Expoman:

Attached is a photo of the a/c on my 38 wagon, which is original to the car, even though the 59A motor is not. It's still an oil bath, but is typical of the heavy-duty air cleaner that would have been optional on your 37 pickup.

An air cleaner of this size, should be fairly easy to convert to an original-looking paper type
by carefully cleaning the "innards" out. I haven't done this, as I am happy with the oil bath.

supereal    -- 04-26-2011 @ 4:11 PM
  We have an info sheet on converting your oil bath unit to a modern paper filter. I can post it again, if you wish.

SDExpoman    -- 04-26-2011 @ 9:29 PM
  I thought I had seen old photos of a smaller diameter A/C's with a taller cylinder shape for 1937 era fords.
I have seen the paper filter conversions, and may go that route.

40 Coupe    -- 04-27-2011 @ 4:53 AM
  the "dry" type air filter for 37 is the smallest of all the filters, and probably the least effective. There are two slightly different optional oil bath filters one made by Donaldson and the other United, there is also the heavy duty oil bath air filter which is the largest and most effective, used in high dirt and dust areas. It is so large it is bolted to one of the heads. All the Ford filters add their own appearance to the engine bay. See the V8 Club restoration book for photos of all.

SDExpoman    -- 04-27-2011 @ 8:22 AM
  40 Coupe,

Where do I go view the V8 Club restoration book?

Kens 36    -- 04-27-2011 @ 11:16 AM
  The books are for sale at the Online Store on this site. Well worth the price.

Ken

SDExpoman    -- 04-27-2011 @ 3:23 PM
  Ahh... very good. Thanks Ken. I will take a look at the books.

tudorbilll    -- 04-27-2011 @ 8:19 PM
  Post it again super.thanks

Stroker    -- 04-29-2011 @ 3:27 PM
  With apologies to Supereal, I saved his original post in case I ever chose to convert mine. (See attached).

I grew up with the oil-bath, as we had them on all our cars, wind machines, and trucks. We would service the cars and trucks every 2000 miles, and the wind machines every 40 hours.

On the cars and trucks, it wasn't unusual to dig about a quarter inch (sometimes more),of precipitated fine "silt" out of the bottom when servicing. I agree with Super that these air cleaners work best at constant speeds, as they rely upon the dust impinging the surface of the oil in the lower bowl to work at maximum efficiency. The mesh (coconut fibre?) filling in the top was supposed to be oiled as well, to cover the rpm (CFM) conditions (parades?) that were not optimal to cast the dirt into the bowl. Given the amount of abrasive contaminants that we would encounter during scheduled maintenance, I still maintain that they were very effective at normal operating rpm's.

supereal    -- 04-29-2011 @ 3:51 PM
  No apology neccesary, Dan. I've been away from my computer for a couple of days, and didn't have access to that page on my iPad. I only wish I had taken better pix of the conversion. I wasn't sure that I would get the results I expected, so I used an old one that was lying around here that needed some work on the dents. Modern paper filters exceed the oil bath type, or they wouldn't have taken over the field. It amazes me that these old Fords lasted so long on the dirt and gravel roads with primitive filters, if they had any at all! We used to call the small "hot rod" type "rock strainers".

Stroker    -- 04-30-2011 @ 9:08 AM
  Here's a little insight into Henry's thinking regarding air cleaners.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=ogdlAAAAEBAJ&zoom=4&dq=Carburetor%2C%20Ford%20Motor%20Company&pg=PA1#v=onepage&q=Carburetor,%20Ford%20Motor%20Company&f=false

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2968