Topic: Radiator drain petcock

Kiwi47    -- 04-25-2011 @ 2:33 AM
  I need to drain the radiator on my '49 sedan but unfortunately the petcock is seized - the handle on the inner threaded portion spins freely without turning the inner threaded tube. Additionally, the outer threaded hollow bolt part(?) is not fitted snug up against the radiator, with several threads showing - Question: should it be flat against the radiator?

Any tips on removal please?

Would the right-angle valve as used on Mercury and pick-up vehicles of the same eras be a better bet to fit?

There are still one or two good old style radiator repair shops here down under if I get real desperate - I don't want to get all heavy handed and ruin the threads in the radiator. Replacements are available from C&G and Dennis Carpenter if I can get the old petcock out without harming the radiator.

As always Gentlemen, your help will be much appreciated.

40 Coupe    -- 04-25-2011 @ 5:04 AM
  the petcock has a tapered pipe thread where it screws into the radiator. the further it is scr*w*d in the tighter the fit between the threads, but there should be a small amount of pipe dope added to the threads to prevent any leaks in this area. When inserting a new petcock to the radiator do not over tighten. The petcock should not be flush to the radiator, it should be out a couple of threads. If the handle is loose and will not turn the petcock mech it is probably best to replace the entire petcock. You should be able to put a open end wrench on the outer hex and remove. Do not round the edges of the hex, if the petcock requires more force than the open end wrench can provide bend one or both of the ears of the handle up and put a box wrench on the hex, or a deep well six sided socket. do not jerk the wrench when trying to loosen the petcock

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-25-2011 @ 5:16 AM
  What I am reading is the steel wing is spinning on the shaft,
this probably was turned the wrong way to drain the radiator, and broke off, this has LH TREADS,if my memory serves me,
you can remove the whole valve with either a 9/16 or 5/8 wrench,
this is in the radiator and is a pipe tread so you should see some treads, it should unscrew with no problems,this is the standard RH treads.
if you can either free it up when removed and reattach the wing with a spot weld. or penning,of the wing to the drain tube,
or replace, NAPA sells them and many other autoparts as well, if you are going for show, try finding a original,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 04-25-2011 @ 10:21 AM
  If the problem is that the handle on the petcock has come loose from the shaft, remove the handle and back out the stem of the petcock with a pliers or Visegrips. You may be able to simply insert a new stem in the body of the petcock, as most are similiar. If not, use a tube wrench to remove the body of the drain, being very careful not to damage the mounting. Most petcocks are made of brass, and by rocking the wrench back and forth, they usually come out. Use a bit of Teflon tape on the pipe threads of the body, or some paste sealer, and tighten carefully, just enough to seal the connection.

Kiwi47    -- 04-26-2011 @ 1:48 AM
  Gentlemen, thank you all for your much appreciated advice.

I've found the stem is well and truly locked in so I'll buy a replacement petcock and fit that.

Thank you.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2963