Topic: Front Wheel Bearings

dansford    -- 04-23-2011 @ 9:23 AM
  On a 36 Ford is it better that the wheel bearing is tighter rather than loose. It seems that if I go another notch up to line up the cotter pin the wheel is harder to turn. IF I back off to meet the cotter pin hole the wheel freewheels. In both situations there is no wobble on the wheel.
Am I better off tighter or looser?
Thanks,
dansford

TomO    -- 04-23-2011 @ 10:26 AM
  The adjustment procedure that Ford recommends is:

Tighten the nut until it is barely snug, then back off one slot for the cotter pin.

If the bearing is too tight, it will self destruct in a short time.

Tom

dansford    -- 04-23-2011 @ 10:44 AM
  Thanks Tom.dansford

supereal    -- 04-23-2011 @ 11:01 AM
  Pack the bearings by forcing grease into the bearing as you work the edge into grease held in the palm of you hand until it emerges around the rollers. When the hub is reassembled, and on the spindle, tighten the spindle nut as far as you can, spin the hub to be sure there are no tight spots, then back off the nut until you can insert the cotter pin. Tightening the hub allows excess grease to be displaced and the beaing seated. Otherwise it is likely the bearing will become loose during driving. The "Timken" tapered roller bearings are designed for a close fit, and there should be no discernable play when properly adjusted.

Stroker    -- 04-23-2011 @ 5:05 PM
  Back in the 50's, there was a product called "Micro Lok" that had a 2-part wheel bearing nut. You could tighten the nut to "just the right amount", and then install a cap over the nut that had 80 internal serrations that matched the 80 external serrations on the nut just outboard of the wrenching flats. This outer cap had a single hole for the cotter pin, so you could secure the assembly without backing off or over tightening the wheel bearing. Mopar used a crude version of this concept stamped out of steel in the 80's for the rear wheel bearings on K-cars.

It was an interesting concept, since as Super has stated: Timken bearings are a little fussy when it comes to pre-load. If I could find a modern source, I'd buy a pair.

supereal    -- 04-23-2011 @ 5:24 PM
  Dan: Lincoln revived the serrated cage system for the Town Cars in the mid 90's It was replaced later with a strange "self locking" assembly that was actually four thin nuts slightly out of phase that was supposed to give "infinite" adjustment. I had a '92 Lincoln with that, and the doggone thing kept trying to unscrew on the left front. The brake rotor kept the wheel from falling off! Of course, Ford claimed they hadn't had any complaints. Locktite was finally the fix.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2956