Topic: Piston Ring Replacement

swmddo    -- 04-22-2011 @ 2:59 PM
  I am rebuilding my '48 59AB block, and broke the #1 ring on one of the pistons. Is there any way to purchase just a set of TOP rings, without having to buy the complete set?

Thanks

Steve

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-22-2011 @ 3:40 PM
  post what size ring with a part number and if a 3 ring or 4 ring piston,
this might help. 37RAGTOPMAN

swmddo    -- 04-22-2011 @ 4:42 PM
  Thanks! Need top ring for 40-over piston...40-over ring.
Part number: 8BA-6149 (40-over)- 4 ring piston

Steve

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-23-2011 @ 7:10 AM
  steve
I checked what I have and came up with nothing,
maybe someone else will have a broken set,
place a want on the wanted section on this classified site, might help 37RAGTOPMAN

swmddo    -- 04-23-2011 @ 2:56 PM
  Thanks for looking. On Monday, I'm going to call Hastings, who made the rings...their website "says" you can buy single rings...will have to wait and see. If so, I will let everyone know...

Steve

swmddo    -- 04-25-2011 @ 5:45 AM
  Well, I called Hastings this AM. Yes, you CAN buy one ring, or multiple rings, directly from them. The only downside is the cost. While you can typically get a set of rings for around $70 from one of the old Ford V8 vendors, you pay almost $9 plus shipping for ONE. As long as you don't break them TOO OFTEN, it definitely saves you SOME money. Of course, if you plan on rebuilding your block every year or two, getting a complete set would be better! ;-)

Steve

supereal    -- 04-25-2011 @ 10:02 AM
  Breaking a piston ring is rare, if you are using the proper tool, such as a ring pliers. The end gap is important, as is being sure the ring lands (grooves) are clean, and the rings are correct for the application. These days, getting wrong parts seems to be an epidemic. We have to send back many to our local distributors when they bring the wrong part. Most replacement sets contain expanders, which most of the original engines did not, to accomodate rebored cylinders.

swmddo    -- 04-25-2011 @ 10:30 AM
  Thanks. Hastings has the specific size, but I will ensure it IS correct, as well as the ring gap, when I receive it. I was using the ring expander/pliers...bumped something and the top ring caught something on the workbench.

Steve

supereal    -- 04-25-2011 @ 1:00 PM
  Been there, done that, Steve.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2955