Topic: Rear Main Seal

sgolsen    -- 04-20-2011 @ 7:54 PM
  Have '47 Super Deluxe Cont, model 79A, V8, 100hp. Do all these engines have rope main seals or do some models have a different sealing method? Have a bad leak and my mechanic is getting conflicting info.

supereal    -- 04-20-2011 @ 8:20 PM
  All the 59AB engines use the rope style seals. There is a later type for the front, but not for the back. The usual cause of excess leakage is that the seal was incorrectly installed, probably by being trimmed in length instead of being forced into place. There is a Kevlar rope seal available that doesn't't need presoaking in oil. Be sure you are not overfilling the oil, and that the front and rear crankcase vents are clear. Be sure that the leak is, in fact, from the seal, and not from elsewhere at the rear of the engine, and leaking down the outside. It happens more that you think.

ford38v8    -- 04-20-2011 @ 8:43 PM
  Rope main seal is stock. If it don't leak, you don't have any oil in it to leak. Could be that you are putting too much oil in, or you are parking on a hill. Your engine takes 4 US quarts, or 5 if you have an oil filter. Some Ford literature calls for 5 Imperial qts, which converts to 4.15 US qts. This difference has confused mechanics for years.

Alan

joe b    -- 04-21-2011 @ 6:49 AM
  Please explain where the front and rear crankcase vents are located. I am unsure of this as I have never heard of them.

alanwoodieman    -- 04-21-2011 @ 8:46 AM
  front of oil pan, pass side, sticks down, sort of odd shape with a slot at the rear, upper vent is the oil fill tube cap, make sure dust and dirt have not accumulated and blocked air flow, I clean my cap in a good degreaser and wash out and let dry

51f1    -- 04-21-2011 @ 1:45 PM
  Sometimes oil leaks between the rear main bearing cap and the block. Always use a sealant on this joint when assembling the engine. And remember, if it ain't leaking, it's out of oil (that also applies to old Harleys).

Richard

TomO    -- 04-22-2011 @ 8:04 AM
  sgolsen,

Supereal is correct when he says that all 59A engine used the rope seal when they left the factory. If your engine was rebuilt at any time, an earlier Mercury crank shaft with the slinger type rear seal could have been installed.

In either case you should not have significant leakage and the fix is to pull the engine and inspect the rear seal and main bearing to ensure that all of the parts are there and installed correctly.

There is a cork seal (18-6701) that seals the oil pan to clutch housing and this is often the cause of excessive leakage.

If the crankshaft has the rear slinger, the rear main bearing cap needs a pipe (P/N 81A-6326) to direct the excess oil from the rear main back into the oil pan.and the correct pot metal rear main seals.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2950