Topic: painting a 46 woodie

tom grochow    -- 04-19-2011 @ 5:24 PM
  i want to get my stock 46' painted (obviously not the wood). can anyone share a qualified reference in Orange County , Calif. where I can get a cost estimate ?

thirtysixford    -- 04-19-2011 @ 7:11 PM
  How much $ do you want to spend?

Good Paint/Body work has always been expensive and with the CARB restrictions a gallon of automotive paint in California has gone through the roof, plus only certain types are available. I would not be surprised if you can't even buy auto paint here in the future in the Peoples Republic of California.

That said, I have several good paint shops that I deal with. P M me.

FYI

One of my dearest friends is Bill DeCarr. (Google him) Bill worked at the Barris Shop in the 50's and did the body work on the "Aztec" and many other custom cars before opening his own shop.

His paint work was so good he had cars flown from Europe to California for him to paint. He told me he charged a min. of $20k in the 80's !

Mike

trjford8    -- 04-20-2011 @ 8:22 AM
  If you are a V-8 Club member check in your roster for members in your area who might be able to help. Also call some of the V-8 parts suppliers in your area as they may know of good painters.

supereal    -- 04-20-2011 @ 11:18 AM
  Painting a woodie requires some special attention and skill if you are refinishing the body along with the front clip and rear fenders. Unless the wood is in good condition, with an appropriate varnish, the rest of the job will only make it look shabby. You might contact a place such as Woodies USA for advice. Their site is woodiesusa.com. They are a V8 TIMES advertiser. When we have a car painted, we remove the fenders, etc, and have it done a piece at a time. That way, there are no places between the pieces and the rest of the body that harbor wax and other contaminents that will spoil the results.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2944