Topic: 36 ford condencer

2445jones    -- 04-17-2011 @ 7:54 AM
  hi-can anybody tell me the best and easiest way to remove a conndencer from a distributer mounted on a 1936bford ? is there a tool that would make it easier? thank you jack

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-17-2011 @ 9:11 AM
  you could take out the bolt holding the one end to the condensor to the distibuter body, and take the screws holding the coil to the distributer and remove the coil,,,, unscrew the condensor and replace and reinstall the coil, use a new gasket if the old one is dried out, if dried out will absorb moisture and could run bad in wet weather.
I hope I got this right.this is a easy job,
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN picture might help to know exactly what the problem is,
knowing what distributer or engine you have in the car.

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-19-11 @ 9:07 AM

supereal    -- 04-17-2011 @ 10:45 AM
  Unless there is a suspicion that the condenser is weak or has gone "open", they usually aren't changed without removing the distributor, due to the difficulty of reaching the terminals. If the condenser is shorted, the car won't run. If it is open or weak, the engine will act as if it is running out of fuel, and have low power. It is rare to have condenser problems unless you are using a foreign made one. Some of those are bad out of the box. We reuse good condensers rather than install one of questionable quality.

drkbp    -- 04-18-2011 @ 5:13 AM
  2445jones,

Assuming you have the three screw biscuit coil, use a screwdriver from the driver side on a round head screw holding the condensor in the coil and take out the top right distributor mounting bolt on the passenger side. The flat top coil for the 68 distributors I believe is the same. I have a 68 at the house but the one I drove to the office today has the 3 screw 48 distributor.

The short answer is you do not have to take the early distributors out to change the condensor. I carry a coil and condensor spare because when either is done, so are you.

If you have the "adaptor" plate and and round coil that fits the early two and three screw distributors, the condensor sits up on top and a screwdriver will get it. They work fine too and are available from several of the vendors.

Ken in Texas

This message was edited by drkbp on 4-18-11 @ 5:17 AM

supereal    -- 04-18-2011 @ 3:51 PM
  I didn't say you had to remove the distributor, just that it is easier if the distributor is out. I carry a spare condenser in my "road kit" with a set of clip leads on it. Also, changing the condenser unless there is a problem is unneccesary. If the condenser is a problem, then the condition of the points will also be a question, as they will "grow" spikes that impact performance.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2928