Topic: Fake vintage registration

greginski    -- 04-16-2011 @ 5:38 PM
  Wandering aimlessly around the internet I came across this very strange site.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/toybox/PROPDOCS/AutoRegistration.pdf

still cannot figure out what it is all about
but there is a page devoted to all kinds of fake documents.

the one above is for fake automobile registrations.

all of the fields seem to change including name, vehicle, make, state and year.

costs nothing, looks fairly authentic, and you can put your name on a registration from your home state for the year your car was manufactured.

won't pass any expert exam but looks kinda cool on your visor.

have fun, don't get all hung up on authenticity.

supereal    -- 04-16-2011 @ 6:11 PM
  And the purpose is?

kubes40    -- 04-16-2011 @ 6:25 PM
  This kind of reminds me of the ads we so often see for "historical documents" for "collecting purposes only".

While I understand the desire by many to circumvent the governmental system (DMV bureaucracy)that can be cumbersome to say the least, guys buying and selling these "historical documents" risk serious trouble.

A person can label them whatever they want. That does not excuse them from the law. Recall the saying that "ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law"? It holds true here.
While titles can be used by a private person they can never be owned. They are the issuing states property. Thus, what a person does not own, can't legally be sold.
Is it worth the risk for a few bucks profit? Well, certainly not to me.

greginski    -- 04-16-2011 @ 6:56 PM
  Please get real!!!!

Lighten up!!

Free, as in it costs you nothing!!!

No one is making a buck.

No one is making you make a fun fake registration

It is like putting a fake pack of vintage cigs in the back seat to give the vehicle some cache.

Maybe a vintage magazine.

supereal    -- 04-16-2011 @ 7:34 PM
  Even "fun" documents have a way of becoming " real" after while by those not constrained by the requirements of actual ownership evidence. In many years in the old car hobby, I've seen too many scams and frauds perpetrated on the unsuspecting. Given that the laws regarding registration are often difficult to follow, the penalties for violation are strict, up to and including confiscation of the vehicle. That doesn't seem like much "fun"to me.

kubes40    -- 04-18-2011 @ 9:23 AM
  Lighten up? I'm fine - thanks.
I think Super made a valid point in that many 'fun' documents have a way of becoming 'real'. You may not think it so fun / enlightening if you buy a car that turns out to have a fake registration.
Here too, it doesn't matter if you paid in full, have receipts, how many owners in between, etc. The vehicle remains the property of the person that holds the authentic title.
In Wisconsin (at least) it is the duty of the purchaser to be certain the title is legitimate.

This message was edited by kubes40 on 4-18-11 @ 11:04 AM

supereal    -- 04-18-2011 @ 10:21 AM
  To underline Mike's point: Last year, an ad for a truck for sale here was spotted by the fellow who owned it when it was stolen almost fifteen years ago. During that time, it had passed thru several hands. He confirmed it was, in fact, his truck, and presented the original title to reclaim possession. It wasn't possible to trace back to the thief, but the current "owner" was just out his money and the vehicle, even though he had bought it in "good faith". As I have mentioned here when the subject of titles comes up, I once bought a car from a fellow who swore he had a good title but "just hadn't found it". After putting a trace on it, I did find the title, which had been pledged not once, but four times, as loan collateral. It took some doing, and a bonded title, to confirm my ownership. Now, I don't even look at a vehicle unless the title can be produced and searched.

1934 Ford    -- 04-18-2011 @ 3:36 PM
  Hey guys, we're talking about FAKE Registrations here, not vehicle Titles. At every flea market in the country you can buy FAKE license plates that say whatever you want. They're not legal plates either, and I'm sure there is a big penalty for representing them as such.
Most states have vehicle TITLES to transfer ownership of vehicles. Old FAKE Registrations are harmless unless the owner has larceny in mind, then I sure if they are Computer savvy enough to make do one, they can make one that looks like the ones in use in their own state, (Instead of this one) but to what purpose? To me it's like an Elvis Presley drivers license, cute but worthless.

kubes40    -- 04-19-2011 @ 3:54 PM
  Many states do not require titles on cars built before a certain year. So, a fake registration 'washed' through one state comes out as a 'clean' title in another.

Henryat1140    -- 04-28-2011 @ 6:40 PM
  Well, to clarify (or add to the confusion <grin>)

The site has to do with what are called PROPDOCS. There are a certain set of gamers who attempt to create an authentic role playing game experience - sort of like the old Dungeons and Dragons - but often using murder mysteries or narratives as a backdrop.

In their way they are as, shall we say 'enthusiastic' about their hobby as we are. Where we worry about whether a bolt is bright or painted they try to duplicate another time or place. In doing this their particular simulation might require, say, a theatre ticket or maybe a library card or some other authentic looking document. The author of the site supplies the fonts and templates for doing this. Hence the documents are PROPS as in a play.

One can assign a sinister purpose to almost anything on the Internet, but in this case the intent is not to defraud but to entertain. If you say the potential is there for mischief, well that's true, but such is a subversion of the original intent.

Myself I liked the registration card. I edited it and printed a copy on buff card stock. It will go well with my 1936 Tags displayed on the car. Of course I do keep all the proper registration documents in the car too.

Good Fun

Henry

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2925