Topic: Kingpin replacement procedure?

Tim I    -- 04-13-2011 @ 8:31 AM
  I know my '38 coupe needs kingpins, as I can see quite a bit of play when I wiggle the wheels. The car had been off the road for a long time when I bought it last year. With the ~40-year-old tires it's kind of scary to drive, and I know the kingpins are part of that, but I'm thinking that just replacing the tires might get me through the summer.

I know I probably should just go ahead and do the kingpins. The thing is, I don't have a feel for how big a job it is. I have reprints of the Ford shop manual and the service notes, but neither contains a step-by-step procedure on how to go about getting the spindles off. (I'll just take them to a machine shop for the actual bushing replacement.) If it's not too much trouble, could someone post the basic steps to getting the spindles off? I would very much appreciate it!

Tim

TomO    -- 04-13-2011 @ 9:12 AM
  If your kingpins are worn, the new tires may become damaged. I would replace the kingpins and tires before driving.

Buy a Ford kingpin set. There are still some available and the bushings are a much better quality than the after-market ones. Order front wheel grease seals and repack the front wheel bearings at the same time.

Take note of where the bearings and seals are placed in the spindle assembly so you can get them back in the correct order.

To remove the spindles, support the car under the front axle, remove the wheels, drums and backing plates. Remove the drag link and the tie rod.

Remove the nut from the spindle bolt locking pin and drive the pin (P/N B-3122) out.

The kingpin can now be driven out from the bottom and the spindle removed.

The old bushings can now be pressed out, new ones installed and reamed to fit the new king pins.

Before you start the work, make sure that the machine shop that you choose, works on trucks and has the long reamer to ream the bushings. Both bushings should be reamed from the same direction to ensure correct alignment.

If I haven't covered everything, someone will add to the post.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 4-13-11 @ 9:13 AM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-13-2011 @ 9:28 AM
  remove the brake drum.
take the 4 bolts holding the backing plate on,
remove backing plate off, set backing plate to the side,be careful if it has juice brakes of the rubber hoses. now would be a good time to replace them,.
remove the tie-rod from the spindle.
just loosen the special nut on the front axle,
back off a few turns,
this is on the back side of the front axle,
hit the nut forward, this will loosen the special tapered lock bolt,
now you should be able to drive the king pin out,from the bottom,
be sure to soak the whole area with PB BLASTER,to make it a little easier it cannot hurt and it might even work,
if the pins are frozen you might have to use a high heat gun or a torch, DO NOT get the axle cherry red,
I use a air hammer, heat is the LAST RESORT,
NOW you can take the spindles to a auto machine shop to have the brass bushing installed and honed out and
fitted to the King Pins.
I see that SPEEDWAY has king pin needle bearing, and does not need to be fitted to work, and they say last longer,
has anybody used these ?
one last thing, REPLACE THE GREASE FITTING,the new ones will work better. try getting a good quality ones,
bad grease fitting's when not working, will not let the grease in where it should be,and cause premature wear,
good luck , hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN
drive the

trjford8    -- 04-13-2011 @ 7:26 PM
  In addition to the good advice given by othersyou should check the tie rod and drag link ends for wear.If the kingpins are worn it's a good possibility that the tie rod and drag link ends are also worn.Wear in these ends will cause mis-alignment(toe-in) and other problems such as front end shimmy.

Tim I    -- 04-14-2011 @ 10:07 AM
  Thanks for all the information and advice. I guess I'll go ahead and re-do the front suspension and steering before putting those new tires on. I may have some more questions once I get into it...

Tim

danliveshere    -- 04-16-2011 @ 6:58 AM
  Tim if it has been sitting for a long time and has 40 yr old tires, check your wheel bearings carefully . If there was any moisture in there they will mark the rollers/ outer cups. That old grease will have to be removed and repacked on re assembly.

Tim I    -- 04-16-2011 @ 7:56 AM
  Actually, I already went through the brakes and bearings. I *should* have continued on and done the kingpins at that time, but I was anxious to get the car on the road and see how it runs. Fortunately, the engine and drivetrain seem OK. But now I guess I need to take the brakes apart again. Ugh!

Tim

trjford8    -- 04-16-2011 @ 8:02 AM
  Tim, no need to take the brakes apart. Leave everything attached to the backing plates and only remove the 4 bolts that hold the backing plate to the spindle. Remove it as a unit and have a way to support it by placing it on a stand or using bailing wire to tie it up to the wishbone.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2912