Topic: 34 top replacement

Tom Lee    -- 04-12-2011 @ 7:19 PM
  I want to replace the fabric top on my 34 - 5 window coupe and the instructions that were sent with the kit do not seem to be correct. Can someone tell me wher to find the correct instructions for this procedure?

Thank you. Tom Lee

40 Coupe    -- 04-13-2011 @ 6:17 AM
  for some reason I am unable to post the info I have and you have not activated "personal messages"

Tom Lee    -- 04-13-2011 @ 3:35 PM
  Please try to send the information to my e mail account, I have updated my preferences so I hope that it works.

thank you, Tom Lee

40 Coupe    -- 04-14-2011 @ 4:02 AM
  I have attached it here and will try your PM

JM    -- 04-14-2011 @ 7:27 AM
  I have some info on how to replace the soft top on a '35. Would probably be the same pocedure for your '34. If you are interested send me a PM with your email address and I will send a copy to you.

JM

supereal    -- 04-14-2011 @ 10:28 AM
  Having done the replacement of soft tops on Model A's, I assume the procedure is similar. I learned that the condition of the wood in the top structure is crucial. If the wood is rotted, or full of nail holes, it should be replaced, not an easy job. The condition of the metal and the holes around the edge of the top opening in important, too, so the tacks and metal sealing strip will stay in place as the top is stretched. Forming the seal strip is tricky. We made a wooden form to allow an even curve without buckling. Laying out the chicken wire and padding has to be done carefully to prevent lumps in the top. Leave plenty of top material around the edges to provide a handhold when stretching it. Be very careful to keep all tacks inside the seal. My first try at the job left a few in the wrong place. A good job requires lots of time, and some good help. Be sure to seal the edges when you are done.

carguy    -- 04-14-2011 @ 11:33 AM
  I got a very good set of instructions from Lebarron Bonny. I suggest that you give them a call, I'm confident that they will send you a set of instructions.

Bill Brown
'34 Cabriolet

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2909