Topic: Flathead Water Pumps

Ron Crouch    -- 04-12-2011 @ 7:18 PM
  Developed a small leak in behind pulley on the drivers side water pump of my 1936 Flathead V-8. I am thinking of going with the improved sealed bearing versions. Any thoughts or suggestions?

supereal    -- 04-12-2011 @ 8:58 PM
  Try moving the pulley back and forth a few times. Leakage around the back of the pulley is usually caused by an accumulation of crud in the pump that has kept the seal off it's mating surface.

wmsteed    -- 04-13-2011 @ 9:22 AM
  Murphy's law says; "Anything that can go wrong will". If you have a seeping water pump, it will not get any better. You might prolong the problem, however, in the end the pump will fail and that failure will be at the least desirable time.
Pull the pumps and sent them off to one of the pump re-builders that advertise in the V8 Times.
The guy in Florida has an improved impeller along with the newer style of seals.
Some of the aftermarket specialty vendors advertise "new" pumps all of which are made off shore.. There have been a lot of complaints posted on the various forums about these pumps.
If you don't want to remove your pumps and send them off, pick up a pair of used pumps at a swap meet, etc., and send them off to be rebuilt.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-13-2011 @ 9:35 AM
  Ron
if you have the correct FORD pumps on the car,
it would be a good idea to have them rebuilt,
if they came off they will go back on,
correct pumps are hard to find,,
it will take maybe 2 weeks turn around for having your pumps done, by Skip.besure to get the special valve also if you go that way.
37RAGTOPMAN

Ron Crouch    -- 04-13-2011 @ 7:48 PM
  Thanks for the advise, Do you have a contact number for Skip. I'm a new member and don't have copy of V-8 Times as of yet.

39 Ken    -- 04-14-2011 @ 3:36 AM
  Pump rebuilder. A-1 work. Skip also rebuilds your original coil to modern coil standards.

George “Skip” Haney
12168 Azure Court Punta Gorda, FL 33955
Day (941) 637-6698
E-mail: skip@fordsrus.com

This message was edited by 39 Ken on 4-14-11 @ 3:37 AM

Ron Crouch    -- 04-14-2011 @ 7:28 AM
  Thanks--Guys!

JM    -- 04-14-2011 @ 7:38 AM
  I noticed that Dennis Carpenter has an ad in the latest V8 Times on his new '33-'36 style WP's. Would be interesting to know how they compare in performance to a Skip Haney rebuilt pump. I have Skips rebuilt pumps and his over flow check valve on my '35 sedan. The check valve completely stopped my coolant loss and the pumps reduced operating engine temps by 10 to 20*. I can drive anywhere at most any speed in 90-100* temps and not worry about coolant loss or over heating.

JM

supereal    -- 04-14-2011 @ 10:16 AM
  The name Dennis Carpenter has always meant good quality. He is the leading producer of the rubber and plastic parts for old cars., but I'm not sure that he actually produces his own water pumps. He and Bob Drake were among the first to offer the "new, improved" turbine style pumps that had some fitting problems in the first batch. They may be more cautious this time around. Due to the passing of time, the in-the-head pumps have become very scarce, particularly ones that can be rebuilt. If I were planning to replace or rebuild my pumps, I'd certainly look into the new ones.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2908