Topic: Clutch noise

Ron Crouch    -- 04-12-2011 @ 1:13 PM
  My 1936 Ford Sedan with original fathead v-8 has a whirring sound until I depress clutch pedal then it stops. I.m guessing throwout bearing since there appears to be no way to lubricate.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-12-2011 @ 2:11 PM
  if you took you foot off the pedal and the noise stopped, then I would say it could be the throw out bearing, with the clutch depressd the trans stops turning, so I assume you have either a dry trans, or some bad bearing,gearsetc,
drain the trans and run a magnet though the oil and see what you come up with,
you can also pull the cover off the top and examine from the top for any signs of any damage,
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN

Stroker    -- 04-12-2011 @ 2:32 PM
  I'm not sure about 36, but earlier Fords had a grease cup mounted on the top inspection plate to grease the throwout bearing. Later Fords of course just used a sealed bearing, and cannot be
lubed, only replaced.

The Ford 2-N, 9-N & 8-N tractors use a throwout bearing that is identical to the Early Ford, except it accommodates a grease hose in order to lube the bearing. While not original to my 38,
I installed one of these many years ago, and have been happy with it. I drilled the inspection plate, and installed a small grease cup that clears my stock transmission floor pan insert. I have to take the floormat out, and remove the center floorpan section in order to access it, but I believe it is an improvement, especially since "parade duty" is really hard on throwout bearings.

supereal    -- 04-12-2011 @ 3:03 PM
  Ron: It is also possible that the input bearing in the transmission is rough. It is easy to blame the throwout bearing, but the input bearing of the transmission or the rollers in the cluster gear can do it, too. If the noise stops when the clutch is fully depressed, it is likely the problem is elsewhere.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2907