Topic: Tires...AGAIN! Sorry

parrish    -- 04-12-2011 @ 9:16 AM
  ok. Here's what I was told by a veteran Goodyear salesperson. (1) Modern bias ply tires are NO different from the old days. They will still get flat spots. For me, a bigger deal than general "non-performance(ha, ha)" handling as I will not drive the car that often. (2) radial tires in even a 215 70 16 size on a 1940 wheel will not work as the tire is too wide and could even roll out of the wheel on cornering ("high-performance" ha, ha). (3) and I AM concerned about general tire clearance in a 39 fender.
(4) Coker 600R 16 are $250 plus shipping!

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-12-2011 @ 9:49 AM
  I am staying with the WW FIRESTONE bias 600x16,
they might get flat spots.and I am not certain of that. and if it is a few miles are good to go,and this is only if you let sit for long periods of time,if you drive the car once a week I doubt you would have any problems.
with radial tubeless you will need 4 new wheels,that have the groove for the tubeless tire to lock into.or have to go with tubes,
this is very important, you do not want tire problems at 60 mph,
for the amount of miles maybe 2000 a year,
I will stay with the WIDE WHITE WALLS,
just remember RADIAL TIRES are not without faults.
for one thing do not have the look, at least not to me,
if you drive 10,000 miles a year. go for the radials.
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 04-12-2011 @ 3:19 PM
  I trust tire salesmen about as far as I can throw them. The modern bias ply tires don't flat spot. If you trust tire salesmen, you probably believe in the Easter bunny.

Bill Wright    -- 04-12-2011 @ 4:26 PM
  I believe in the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus Too.

Don't Believe Everything You Think!
Bill Wright

ford38v8    -- 04-12-2011 @ 5:52 PM
  Parrish, your veteran tire salesman wasn't born when Rayon bias plies came out. Sitting overnight, they would sound like Thumper the Rabbit going down the road until they warmed up. So much for Rayon, tires don't get square anymore.

There is another thing that happens to a tire, though, one that is out of balance. Don't think that just because you don't intend to drive in the fast lane that you don't need your tires balanced. They will get worse, and will eventually put you out of the race.

Alan

supereal    -- 04-12-2011 @ 7:02 PM
  I put Coker Classics on my car, and had to send two back because they were out of round so far that moving them on the rim didn't help. They are good now, but would have really hopped if I had tried to use the.

TomO    -- 04-13-2011 @ 9:21 AM
  Parrish,

I keep the weight off of my tires when it is stored for the winter and do not have any problems with flat spotting during the summer with my Firestone bias ply tires. Rayon tires used to flat spot overnight, nylon tires are much better.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 04-13-2011 @ 9:40 AM
  Every since tubeless tire came into use, certain people have claimed that they would come off the rim during turns.
In 1955 my insurance agent threatened to cancel my insurance when I mentioned to him that I had Kelley 710-15 tubeless tires on my '53 Olds 88.
Yes some manufactures came out with "safety rims", the earliest being Chrysler in 1941, GM started using safety rims in about '51 on the larger Buick's & Cads.
I have used tubeless radial tires since about 1970 on just about every kind of car and/or pickup, including large 18 wheelers.. Never had one come off of a rim yet.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

supereal    -- 04-13-2011 @ 10:17 AM
  The claim was that the flexing of the sidewalls of the radials would cause the rims to crack at the beads if they were not designed for them. I've never seen that, but the rumor persisted for many years.

BrianCT    -- 04-13-2011 @ 6:34 PM
  My Firestone bias plys were fine after setting for the winter. I did pump them up to 40psi when I put the Ford away in Dec.

tudorbilll    -- 04-13-2011 @ 9:07 PM
  I have been running radials on my 35 tudor for 5-6 yrs on the old spoke wheel. They work just great.

tudorbilll    -- 04-13-2011 @ 9:08 PM
  I have been running radials on my 35 tudor for 5-6 yrs on the old spoke wheel. They work just great.

johnh6813    -- 04-22-2011 @ 6:23 PM
  I have 215 75 16 Diamond backs on a 39 mercury and they are wonderful ,they tamed a wild cuss. no tubes .same rims never even needed to balance them .The white walls stay super white never need more than a light wash.Just bough a set of the same only 225 75 16 for a 46 woodie .John.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2906