Topic: 6V battery

tudorbilll    -- 04-11-2011 @ 10:16 PM
  where can i buy a good battery 6V to fit under the floor in my 35 height is a restriction I think optima is too high

MG    -- 04-11-2011 @ 10:50 PM
  turbo,

You need a Group 2L battery. You're correct in that Optima no longer makes a 6V battery of the lower height needed for your application. Google "6 volt Group 2L Battery". Ideally you will find a vendor near you. Shipping costs are high for these battries. Fortunately for you, a Ford script battery which costs much more is not a consideration for you given it's location.

ford38v8    -- 04-11-2011 @ 11:00 PM
  Bill, Although Optima has increased the height of the 6v battery, it is serviceable in any position, so just install it laying flat. Being half the width of a normal battery, you can use a bungee cord if you like to keep it from bouncing around.

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-12-2011 @ 5:04 AM
  tudorbill
try http://turbostart.com/
ON their web site go to collecter series.
this should help you out,
the battery will be FORD SCRIPT,and will fit with no problems,and will taken care of,aleast 5 years maybe longer, just check your generator out put so it is NOT Overcharging,this will make last much longer.
hope this helps 37 FORD RAGTOPMAN,

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-12-11 @ 5:06 AM

40 Coupe    -- 04-12-2011 @ 10:10 AM
  Yes the 35 battery is a problem. All the modern replacements are slightly narrow, and too high. I saw an optima mounted into a frame and then the frame sat where the old battery sits, so there were no modifications to the car. The outside dimensions of the frame were the same L & W as the original battery the inside dimensions accepter the 6V optima. The optima sits a couple of inches lower that the usual battery giving the top clearance necessary to clear the cover. This frame work was home made and probbly the best idea yet to get a battery to fit. I have a Ford script lead acid battery and use wood spacers to keep the battery between the front and rear supports and have insulated the bottom of the cover so if the cover touches the battery terminals there is not a short circuit.

Henryat1140    -- 04-12-2011 @ 2:55 PM
  Check with NAPA, they have one. Can't recall the stock #, but it was about $80.00

You do need the lower 2L size

This message was edited by Henryat1140 on 4-12-11 @ 2:56 PM

supereal    -- 04-12-2011 @ 3:14 PM
  Anything less than an Optima is a waste of money, in my opinion. It isn't what you pay, but how often you pay it.

trjford8    -- 04-13-2011 @ 7:32 PM
  You might take a look at the Odyssey battery.
They are the same principle as the Optima ,but are shorter in height. They should fit under the floor of the 35-36 cars.

drkbp    -- 04-13-2011 @ 8:36 PM
  tudorbilll,

Your box should be almost 9 inches deep, no less than 8-1/2" +. I just measured mine.

The O'Reilley Super Start 6 volt Part 1 is a little less than 8-1/2" high x 7" wide x 9" long. Drops right in. Be sure and measure the battery when you go to the parts store. They also sell a bigger 6V and an 8V that will fit the '35-'36.

Your cover that screws to the floor is not flat but raised in the center and clears the hot post (-). The covers had card stock or some other material that kept the cover from touching the posts but that has long since gone on mine. Be sure and shield the negative post from the cover!

Costs $69.99 for the lead battery, $199.99 for the Optima. Optima has 3 year free replacement and the other is one year free replacement.

I just use the lead acid because they fit the T's I have too. All these cars are running cutouts except the '14 has no generator.

Best thing I have bought is the battery carrier. It makes taking the battery in and out the cars a snap. It was less than twenty dollars and you can put it in that '35 easily.

Ken in Texas

tudorbilll    -- 04-13-2011 @ 8:55 PM
  Thank you everyone, ill look into the options. BILL

tudorbilll    -- 04-13-2011 @ 8:56 PM
  Thank you everyone, ill look into the options. BILL

JM    -- 04-14-2011 @ 7:19 AM
  Here's what I did to put an Optima 6V Red Top battery in one of my '35 sedans. No modifications to stock battery mounting were required. This complete assembly will come out in a few minutes if I ever want to switch back to an original type battery. New mounting basically consists of a piece of "U" shaped SS sheet metal and two pieces of steel angle.

JM

This message was edited by JM on 4-14-11 @ 7:21 AM

supereal    -- 04-14-2011 @ 10:30 AM
  The Optima offers a feature that no common lead-acid battery can: it doesn't leak acid that eats anything and everything it contacts.

sturgis 39    -- 04-15-2011 @ 1:37 AM
  SAMS club has 6 volt batteries and sometimes Walmart has them. Reilly Auto parts has 6 volt batteries. The younger clerks usually say the only six volt batteries they have are for camping lanterns. I ask to go in the back room and show them the 6 volt batteries.

IF IT CAN NOT BE FIXED WITH BLASTING WIRE, DUCT TAPE OR JB WELD - IT CAN NOT BE FIXED

supereal    -- 04-15-2011 @ 11:00 AM
  Our shop is an Interstate Battery Dealer. They either stock, or can get PDQ any battery for anything. They are top quality and fair priced and include the Optima, garden tractors, all cars and trucks, etc.

tudorbilll    -- 04-16-2011 @ 2:20 PM
  Well guys after looking at the options and suggestions hears what Ive come up with odyssey doesn't make a 6 volt. My close and knowledgeable friend says the batter Ive been using with good results was for a volkswagen [under the seat]they are readily available so i bought another..There's only 8 inches from the floor
to bottom of the support.When the car is in the garage not being driven the battery is plug into a 1.5 amp trickle charger.its been working for 10 yrs. Bill

tudorbilll    -- 04-16-2011 @ 2:20 PM
  Well guys after looking at the options and suggestions hears what Ive come up with odyssey doesn't make a 6 volt. My close and knowledgeable friend says the battery Ive been using with good results was for a volkswagen [under the seat]they are readily available so i bought another..There's only 8 inches from the floor
to bottom of the support.When the car is in the garage not being driven the battery is plug into a 1.5 amp trickle charger.its been working for 10 yrs. Bill

This message was edited by tudorbilll on 4-18-11 @ 8:09 PM

MG    -- 04-16-2011 @ 3:10 PM
  tudorbill,

Can you be more specific with respect to that Volkswagen battery? What are it's dementions? - Height/depth to the top of the case and to the top of the posts. Also, as to the Brand and Part number.

1934 Ford    -- 04-16-2011 @ 6:51 PM
  I understand the problem. Been there with my 34 Ford Fordor and my 35 Pickup as well as my 66 VW.
The Ford take a 2L, the VW takes a 19L. Real frustrating as Interstate Batteries had both for years.
Now they don't. Johinson Controls make batteries for Sears, NAPA, Interstate and others. I modified the battery boxes in both the 34 & 35 Fords to take what is available. Then I needed the small 6 Volt for my
favortie old VW. My NAPA guy said I can get a #5019L, so we looked up the demensions and low and behold it was the same as my a 19L by Johnson Controls, just a 50 added in front of the part number. I bought it an love it, it's also made by Johnson Controls. Now I wonder if NAPA has a 502L for the Fords.
Doesn't cost anyting to ask.

tudorbilll    -- 04-18-2011 @ 11:21 AM
  This 6V battery was sold as a 19L [L-12 1/2-H 7 1/2-W 7 ] $90. Turbo start has a script battery 2LF @$209 plus shipping.In my case $ 35.00 No doubt they make a quality battery.

This message was edited by tudorbilll on 4-18-11 @ 8:03 PM

MG    -- 04-19-2011 @ 12:38 PM
  turbostart & turbobilll??? Hmmmmmmmmm....... :o)

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2905