Topic: Hard vs. Soft water

crewdoggy    -- 04-11-2011 @ 9:35 AM
  I have read the forum topics about anti-freeze usage in the radiator and lubricant for the water pump. Thank you all for the information, I am new to the "Club" and am on a rather steep learning curve. Does anyone have any thoughts on hard vs. soft water use in the cooling system. I live in an area were the water is pretty hard and can see the mineral deposits that accumulate when a water softener is not used. Can I assume that over time hard water will leave the same deposits in the cooling system of my '36.

supereal    -- 04-11-2011 @ 10:15 AM
  Neither hard water nor softened water should be used in the cooling system. The hard water contains lime and other minerals that are good insulators. A 1/16th of inch of lime coating will reduce cooling efficiency by as much as 40%. Softened water trades sodium for magnesium ions which will attack components. The best water is the distilled type, followed by the "demineralized" kind. Most antifreeze dilutes the water by at least 50%, reducing it somewhat. Anyone using just water should be sure to add a container of "anti rust" to lube the water pumps and coat the cast iron water jacket.

This message was edited by supereal on 4-11-11 @ 12:51 PM

ford38v8    -- 04-11-2011 @ 11:21 PM
  Bob, I betcha you brew a mean cup of coffee too, huh?

Alan

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-12-2011 @ 5:12 AM
  I use water out of a dehumifier that I have in the basement,
this is another way to go without buying it,
but never tried in coffee yet,
my 3 cents worth 37 RAGTOPMAN

Stroker    -- 04-12-2011 @ 7:20 AM
  Nothing wrong with simply using rainwater. I collect mine from a downspout, and filter it to take out any roofing granules, or bird excrement. No, I don't make coffee with it. The idea is that lime will eventually form deposits in the areas of the block that get the hottest, and seriously degrade heat transfer in those critical areas. In addition, hard water is a bit of an electrolyte, so if you have aluminum heads on your motor, you may suffer erosion of the metal due to electrolysis. Ragtop: I never thought of the dehumidifier, but you are correct in that it is suitable as a coolant, even though it probably would pick up enough room microbes to make lousy tasting coffee.

TomO    -- 04-12-2011 @ 7:57 AM
  Rain water is not good for the cooling system. It contains so many pollutants and can be very acidic.

Steam distilled water is the best as it is pure H2O. Around Chicago, you can buy it in the grocery store for less than $1 a gallon. I don't think that is too much to spend for a summer's worth of enjoyment. Oil costs over $3 a quart and Gasoline is way up there.

Tom

supereal    -- 04-12-2011 @ 8:59 AM
  Alan: My wife thinks that perhaps I could use a shot of anti rust in my coffee, too!

ford38v8    -- 04-12-2011 @ 5:41 PM
  Listen to your wife, Bob. When your plumbing gets rusty, you do whatcha gotta do to stay in the game.

Alan

42guy    -- 04-12-2011 @ 6:44 PM
  My local Wal-mart has the distilled water for $0.69 per gal.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2901