Topic: Flathead V-8 Oil Filler Tube

Ron Crouch    -- 04-08-2011 @ 6:51 PM
  Hope this don't seem ludicrous but I just got this 1936 Ford Sedan with V-8 flathead all original. Been a long time since I messed with em but some of my memory is coming back. Got'er runnin yesterday, changing the oil today. Discovered that when you take off the oil filler cap with the crankcase filter screen there appears to be an inner and an outer tube inside going down into the block, can't see it only feel it. Do you have to hit the inner tube or just pour the oil in and let er rip?

ford38v8    -- 04-08-2011 @ 7:17 PM
  Ron, I'm not sure from your description... The '36 does not have a stock oil filter. If you are speaking of the screened scoop at the rear of the block, just remove it and pour the oil in. It should take 4 qts, not 5 as some references say.

Alan

Ron Crouch    -- 04-08-2011 @ 8:02 PM
  Alan--It is the screened scoop at the rear of the block I was refering to. I took it off and it feels like there is an inner and outer tube that goes down. Just didn't know if I was supposed to hit the inner tube or just pour the oil in the big opening and it all goes to the oil pan.

ford38v8    -- 04-09-2011 @ 1:14 AM
  Ron, just pour it in, it'll find its way to the oil pan. Best to use a funnel to prevent a mess. The screened scoop is to draw in fresh air, which will then circulate and exit through the front right lower corner of the oil pan, pulling out blow-by with it. You'll see a small triangular opening there if you crawl under. Without air circulation, pressure buildup would force oil past the valve guides, and you'd blow a huge cloud of smoke behind you, which of course only happens with Chebbies. What you see inside the rear top tube is the fuel pump pushrod. It travels up and down from the camshaft, to operate the fuel pump attached just before the screened scoop.

Alan

Ron Crouch    -- 04-09-2011 @ 7:20 AM
  Thanks Alan you explained it well.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2896