Topic: ? About 59AB water pumps

rbone    -- 04-07-2011 @ 2:02 PM
  Just got my pumps back from Skip Haney. They look great! In the instructions he sent with them, he references using two bottles of Purple Ice and a large bottle of granular type Bar's leak. Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of using either of these products?

Everything I have read on the internet about Purple Ice is good, but that is not the case for Bar's leak. To my knowledge, my motor does not have any internal cracks and has never overheated.

Thanks,
Ron

ford38v8    -- 04-07-2011 @ 2:22 PM
  Ron, Skips advice is good. Even new cars are put out the factory doors with barrs leak or similar products, as there are so many potential leaks to prevent, it just makes sense to add it now.

Purple Ice is a product that lessens cavitation at hot spots. This can be observed first hand by boiling two pots of water on the stove, one with and one without Blue Ice. The pot with the Blue Ice will release bubbles while small, the pot without holds bubbles longer. Cavitation lessens water contact with the block, thereby reducing heat transfer.

Alan

TomO    -- 04-08-2011 @ 12:54 PM
  If your engine is a fresh rebuild, put in the Bars. If it has mileage on it, and you see no signs of leaks, the Bars is not necessary.

The Bars will not cause any problems, unless you overheat and loose coolant. The Purple Ice will act as a seal lubricant and corrosion inhibitor.

Tom

thirtysixford    -- 04-08-2011 @ 1:32 PM
  Some years ago a Bars rep. came into my store and gave me a demo.

He had two coffee cans with holes punched in them. He put water in each and of course it leaked out. He then added Bars Leak to one and Alumiseal to the other. They both stopped the leak right away. He then poured the contents of each can through a strainer and the Alumiseal had expanded into a huge blob of metalic goo that would not go throuth. The Bars leak went right through the screen, nothing left.

He sold me....

As the others have said, it's in most new cars from the factory.

Mike

Stroker    -- 04-08-2011 @ 3:49 PM
  I've had good luck with Barr's leaks. My family grew and processed almonds in Central California and we used to sell the almond hulls to Barr's by the truckload during harvest.
So, I'd assume the active ingredient contained , (at least in the 40's-70's), the fiber found in those hulls. The Navy used Barr's leaks in the first nuclear sub, after they discovered a condensate leak on their way to the North Pole. I'd say though that using any more than one jar on a fresh rebuild, or pump change-out could create problems. The modern version with the little cylinders of solids sure beats the stuff we used in the 50's. With that version, you had to dig the stuff out of the bottom of the jar with a screwdriver.

supereal    -- 04-08-2011 @ 8:17 PM
  Barr's is a long time producer of sealers. We use it on all new engines, as did the "authorized" rebuilders who shipped a jar with each engine. It is now sold in a number of formulations, including one with metal flakes. We prefer the original type.

MOXIE    -- 04-09-2011 @ 12:04 PM
  Radiator stop leak in new cars. Where do you guy's get your information. If I was about to buy a new car and the salesman said they put barr's in, I believe I would walk away. As for me, it would be the last thing on my list to put in my old ford radiator if I had a leak. It's just a band-aid fix.

supereal    -- 04-09-2011 @ 3:02 PM
  The stop leak is added to new engines to prevent any small leaks that may occur inside the block, not the radiator. These could be from a gasket, pin hole in the casting, etc. As hard as we try to assemble an engine with zero leaks, they happen. Even today, with the advent of sealer in the place of gaskets in some places, and "torque twist" head bolts, tiny leaks do happen. Adding stop leak is a preventative measure that doesn't affect the integrity of the system. Any leak that is visable should be repaired, but any internal seepage would go unnoticed until it resulted in damage. It is likely a 100% reality that any vehicle that you bought new contained the sealant. I doubt any salesmen know that, or would say so, if they did. With today's extended warranty periods, the manufacturers are not taking any chances.

thirtysixford    -- 04-09-2011 @ 3:32 PM
  MOXIE... Here you go.

http://www.barsleaks.net/barsstory.html

kubes40    -- 04-09-2011 @ 3:39 PM
  Moxie, have any friends that are service technicians for GM? They will tell you that nearly all new cars get the stop leak treatment.
Also, Cadillac engines from not that many years ago as a matter of course would get this treatment each & every time they were serviced for ANYTHING at a GM dealership. Why? They were prone to leak and it was a quick (never mind 'shady') way to keep things tight. At least long enough to get the car through warranty.
Oh yeah, it happens and it happens all the time...

35gal    -- 04-09-2011 @ 8:20 PM
  There are so many types of barr's leak. Can someone give me a part number or item number. I'm sold on it.

thirtysixford    -- 04-09-2011 @ 10:18 PM
  PLT11 pelletized or c16 pre-dissolved

trjford8    -- 04-10-2011 @ 8:30 AM
  I use the pre-dissolved.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2889