Topic: First drive report - '38 Standard coupe

Tim I    -- 04-06-2011 @ 1:43 PM
  Last Friday I drove the '38 coupe in traffic for the first time, to go get the VIN inspection required to transfer the out-of-state title, and get Colorado plates. Since getting the car last year, I've gone through the original mechanical brakes, cleaning and lube'ing everything, re-lining the shoes, and installing floaters. (The brakes work well, although they do require more effort than I'm used to.) I've also had Skip Haney rebuild the coil and the distributor, and replaced the spark plugs and plug wires. The engine now seems to run very well, with little or no smoke. (However, stepping on the gas seems to increase noise more than it increases power!) It's no rocket, it does seem to keep up with traffic just fine.

I did notice quite a bit of shaking in the front end at speeds of about 35 mph and up. I suspect those old tires are flat-spotted, and I know they're starting to de-laminate on the sidewalls so I have some new 600-16s on order.

I was pleased to find that the speedo and odometer work well, and I suspect that the 41,000+ miles showing are original.

None of this would have been possible without the help I've gotten from the folks on this forum. (I wouldn't even have been able to find the VIN!) I want to thank everyone who posts here, and specifically thank those who have responded to my all my stupid questions. I'm sure more will be coming!

Tim

ford38v8    -- 04-06-2011 @ 8:40 PM
  Tim, Glad your coupe is nearing completion . A first drive is always great, as long as things go right! Don't push it with those old tires, and be safe. Regarding your brakes, remember that they are not broke in yet, and will operate much smoother and with less effort once the shoes are seated and you've adjusted them once again.

Remember also that what goes around comes around. My own stupid questions were answered by the old timers years ago, and now it seems that I'm one of them and they are me. Your expertise will now be appreciated by those who follow!

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2883