Topic: Ignition Coil Adapter Kits

wrosenkrans    -- 04-06-2011 @ 5:57 AM
  What do people think about use of the ignition coil adapter kits? Our '42 Sedan is running well right now, but I've been advised to consider replacing the existing coil, which is undoubtedly the original coil, with an adapter kit to allow use of a modern (and obtainable) coil since we intend to drive the car.

The logic is that a 68 yr old coil is likely to fail suddenly and probably when we're 80 miles from West Timbuktu. How hard would it be to use the modern coil/adapter for normal driving, and swap the original coil back in for show use?

Wayne & Barb
'42 Super De Luxe Tudor

joe b    -- 04-06-2011 @ 6:40 AM
  I have done this on my '41. It is a very simple job using a Coil Adapter Kit that is sold by most early Ford parts suppliers. The kit and coil will be around $50.00 to $60.00. The stock coil is removed and the opening is covered with a plate supplied in the kit. The new coil is mounted on the intake manifold bolts. I never had any trouble with it nor did I notice any improvement. I switched back to original to retain the stock look.

TomO    -- 04-06-2011 @ 8:24 AM
  Wayne,

You don't need an adapter to use a modern coil on your car. The adapter kits were made to allow the use of a modern coil with the distributer that has the coil mounted on top (1932-1941).

In any case, I would recommend that you have your coil rebuilt and continue to use it. If you feel that you need to carry a spare coil, you can use a modern coil that does not have an internal resistor and a modified mount to hold it in place.

Tom

supereal    -- 04-06-2011 @ 10:11 AM
  Send your coil to Skip Haney (skip@fordsrus.com) for a rebuild. Coil failure is common with older ones, but when rebuilt with modern insulation, the problems disappear. I do carry a spare condenser in my "road kit". I put a condenser in a plastic pill bottle and attached a set of clip leads. Given the uneven quality of the condensers today, it is a way to get home if necessary. You just clip it between the distributor terminal on the coil, and a good ground.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2878