Topic: Flushing the differential?

Tim I    -- 04-05-2011 @ 9:11 PM
  I just drained the black muck out of my differential. The '38 manual specifies "flushing the differential" at fluid changes. Is this still advisable, or would I be better off to just re-fill with gear lube, and then change the fluid again after driving a few miles?

If I should flush the differential, what is the procedure?

As usual, any advice appreciated!

Tim

supereal    -- 04-06-2011 @ 10:20 AM
  Tim: I suspect that someone, some time, filled your differential with 600 weight oil. It is a thick, gritty, asphaltic solution originally used in Model T and A cars. At one time, some "experts" advised using in transmissions and rear ends. Leaving the drain plug open, I'd run some kerosene thru it, then close the drain, fill with kerosene, and drive it around the block. Then drain and refill with 80-90 or 140 oil. It would be a good idea to again change the oil after a hundred or so miles to be sure the solvent is all removed. Today's gear oils have a long life, so more flushing isn't necessary unless there is a failure of some kind.

Tim I    -- 04-06-2011 @ 12:52 PM
  Thank you, I will do just that!

I removed the fill plug first, and quite a bit (maybe a pint) came out of there! I was not surprised to find the differential over-filled. When I did the brakes, the right rear was coated with sticky black goo, and I learned from your posts to this forum that over-filling the differential can cause that to happen. I'm hoping that filling it to the proper level will prevent a recurrence. I'll go ahead and drain and flush the gearbox too. I'm guessing that it was filled with the same nasty black stuff.

Thanks again!

Tim

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-06-2011 @ 1:23 PM
  Tim I
take a magnet and run it though the old oil and see if you can find any metal particles,
this is just for peace of mind.
I rebuilt my 37 rear and installed a 354-1 and am using MOBIL 1 140 GEAR OIL, this was 5-6 years ago,
no problems,
the main thing is to make sure it is clean,
I do not like using solvents, of any kind,
to me this will dilute and break down the oil you are installing,
using a reg gear oil and driving the car and keep changing it till it comes out clean and then put the gear oil you want in it,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2877