Topic: Jumpy 36 speeo

quabbinman    -- 04-05-2011 @ 11:21 AM
  My speedometer needle jumps quit a bit up to 50mph...what should I look for first,speedo,cable,gear...speedo was restored about 12 yrs ago...Thanks

supereal    -- 04-05-2011 @ 12:36 PM
  Chances are that the inner cable is dry. Disconnect the sheath and pull the inner cable out and clean it with some solvent such as paint thinner. Lube the cable as you replace it in the sheath. We use white lithium grease. There used to be a special lube, but cable driven speedos are now obsolete.. If you don't have white grease, Vaseline will do. If that doesn't fix it, the problem is likely in the head. The body of the unit usually doesn't have a bushings, and relies on the pot metal case. When that gets worn, it allows the magnet discs to wobble, causing the needle to jump. Then it is a job for the pros.

joe b    -- 04-06-2011 @ 6:30 AM
  If it gets to the point you need it repaired,I have used Bob's Speedometer Repair in Howell,Mi. and have had good results and a good turnaround.

supereal    -- 04-06-2011 @ 12:11 PM
  We have used Bob's Speedometer, too. They will inspect your instrument and give a repair quote before any work is done. They maintain an inventory of NOS and rebuilt items, as well. I bought a NOS speedo for my '47 from them. VERY pricey, but a beautiful piece.

ford38v8    -- 04-06-2011 @ 7:10 PM
  You may save some money and effort by doing some maintenance on the cable as Bob suggested. If that doesn't do the trick, it doesn't mean that your speedo is junk, though. It's time to clean the dried grease and re-lube it. Speedo grease gets hard as concrete over the years. You'll be able to visually determine if the lube has dried out. Try taking it to a local watch repair and request a clean and lube. Save some bucks! Anyone assembling a restored dashboard should also do this to save the work later. It's not about IF the grease will harden, it's about WHEN.

Alan

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2870