Topic: upper steering column bearing

fordmerc    -- 04-04-2011 @ 11:30 AM
  Has anyone installed the after-market bearing-spring-sleeve assembly rather than the rubber bushing (B-3517) in the upper steering column? Is the installation easy? Is it worth doing? Any problems?
There is a rubber bushing with metal insert available also. Is this better that the all rubber bushing? Any problems?
My main reason for concern with the all rubber busing is that the repros are too small and mine slid down the column and must be replaced.

Kens 36    -- 04-04-2011 @ 4:48 PM
  fordmerc,

What year car? I used the aftermarket bearing kit built by V-8 Club member Dan Brusegard in my '36. It was easy to install and well worth the cost.

Let me know if you want more information about it or if you want Dan's contact info.

Ken

tudorbilll    -- 04-04-2011 @ 11:49 PM
  It is well worth the effort,I did my 35 and got the parts from my ford dealer.Fifteen years ago I believe they were for an early mustang. Bill

tudorbilll    -- 04-04-2011 @ 11:50 PM
  It is well worth the effort,I did my 35 and got the parts from my ford dealer.Fifteen years ago I believe they were for an early mustang. Bill

40 Coupe    -- 04-05-2011 @ 3:54 AM
  I have Dans and they are very good

fordmerc    -- 04-05-2011 @ 7:37 AM
  The car is a '39 Mercury.
The image is an interesting design. How is it held in place? Is is just wedged into the column? I would appreciate Dan's contact info and any more information about the device.
I have one device consisting of a bearing which is meant to be pushed into the column and holds the actual rod with a nylon ring acting as a wedge. A spring is placed between this and the wheel but I'm not certain I really understand the spring's purpose and why it will not push the bearing down the column just like the old rubber one.

Kens 36    -- 04-05-2011 @ 9:53 AM
  fordmerc

Dan's bearing is held in place with a set screw. I have sent you a PM with Dan's contact info.

Ken

37pickupford    -- 04-05-2011 @ 4:46 PM
  I wish my steering column was in as good a shape as yours seems to be. My 37 pick up steering tube was brazed to the bracket and when i finally got everything apart, the tube was in 3 pieces. The lock assembly was partially disassembled by a previous owner. Any advice or hints on how to find or repair a replacement tube would be appreciated.

34billct    -- 04-05-2011 @ 5:00 PM
  Green book list's 35-37 part#50-3509 ,check adds on ford barn or on h.a.m.b.

trjford8    -- 04-06-2011 @ 8:59 PM
  You local muffler man can make you a new tube. The stock tube is 1 1/2 inch steel tubing. You can have it cut to length and they can flare the end to fit the bottom of your steering wheel. You will need to drill the hole in the tubing to accomodate the column lock.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2866