Topic: Lock Cylinder Removal (photos)

presidentsamito    -- 04-04-2011 @ 9:16 AM
  Hello again, I'm still at my '46, attempting to remove the ignition key cylinder which has a broken key in it.

I couldn't find removal instructions anywhere online, so here are a couple of photos and I hope for some direction from the expertise here....thanks in advance.

Here are photos of the assembly.

www.immersionstudio.com/ford5.jpg

www.immersionstudio.com/ford6.jpg

supereal    -- 04-04-2011 @ 10:30 AM
  It is often possible to remove the broken end of a key using a wire with a sharp hook on the end. You insert the wire past the key stub and work to hook the piece. Many ignition keys are badly worn from use, and break easily. Getting a replacement before that happens is a good idea. If the key twisted off because the tumblers stuck, then the cylinder has to come out. If any of the tumblers are stuck, the job gets tougher. There is a "break-off" pin that holds it in, and that must be drilled out. When we buy them from C&G, they come with a replacement pin in a kit.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-05-2011 @ 4:28 AM
  what I see in the picture is the steering is locked,and the chrome button is in,
so you have to drill out the plug holding the ign assy cylinder in,
once you have the plug out you can remove the lock assy,
you can use a tap in the drilled hole so you can make treads for a small bolt, using vise grips you should be able to pull the plug out,
get yourself some rust buster.the whole thing looks like is really rusted,
you will ALSO have to remove the steering lock assy off of the steering tube,to replace the chrome lever,
you will have to remove the pinch bolt,this is also a drill out and use a easy out, or a left handed drill,so it will hopefully spin the headless bolt out To get the steering lock off the tube,
you should remove the steering assembley out of the car,in the long run it will make things easier,
so you do not have work on your back,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 4-5-11 @ 4:32 AM

presidentsamito    -- 04-05-2011 @ 5:12 AM
  Ok, wonderful advice. I will remove the column entirely and drill out the cylinder and the other break-away bolt. I need to get it out anyways to sandblast, prime, paint, lube etc. Good thing it is fun taking things apart...I am going to know this car inside out!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2865