Topic: 1940 clock

Wolfie    -- 11-09-2009 @ 7:11 PM
  My 40 has a wind up clock, yet, I see discussions about electric clocks. Was electric an option?

trjford8    -- 11-09-2009 @ 7:23 PM
  To my knowledge all 40 clocks were wind-up. They are actually more dependable than the electric clocks.

39 Ken    -- 11-10-2009 @ 4:02 AM
  Over the years, I have read about and talked to folks that had a '40 with an electric clock and indicated that it was a Ford option. The V8 Album makes no reference to it.

TomO    -- 11-10-2009 @ 6:10 AM
  I have never seen the electric clock listed as an accessory for the 1940 Ford. All of my parts catalogs for 1940 list only the wind up clock, the Dealer Album doe not include an electric clock in the accessory section and the folder "Marketing Accessories for the 1940 Ford and Mercury" does not list an electric clock for Ford.

The wiring harness for a Deluxe car does not include wiring for an electric clock.

It is possible that there was an aftermarket or Dealer item electric clock, but if I were to see one on the Concourse, I would have to ask the owner to provide documentation that it was a Ford approved accessory.

Tom

supereal    -- 11-10-2009 @ 9:14 AM
  In reality, almost without exception, car clocks were "wind up", except that later styles were electrically wound, instead of by a stem. A magnetic coil "kicker" is tripped by a set of points when the spring winds down, and the coil arm then rewinds the spring. The clock works themselves remained mechanical. Given the extremes of temperature, and the dirty environment, it is a wonder any work at all, let alone keep time.

Wolfie    -- 11-10-2009 @ 11:40 AM
  Thanks for the replies. My clock works fine and now I know that just like to old days, wind up is authentic.

39 Ken    -- 11-10-2009 @ 2:24 PM
  Tom, If you keep your copies of the
V8 Times, check out Mike Barth's article in
Volume 43 Number 3; May/June 2006, p.75. Ken

Stroker    -- 11-10-2009 @ 3:34 PM
  I have a 38 Ford, and my wind-up clock had died. In the
late 70's I took it to my local "old time" watch repair
guy, and he said I had some bad "internals". He then
volunteered that the "internals" were the same as a
Westclox Travel Alarm. I had a couple of these old
clocks, and using these, he completely restored the
unit. You can find old Travel Alarms on EBay very
cheaply, and they haven't been subjected to the dust
and vibration endemic to car clocks. Just a thought
for the future.

Stroker (kalbach@wildbluepella.org

deuce_roadster    -- 11-10-2009 @ 4:38 PM
  Wolfie,
Yes, an electric clock was an available for the 40 Ford. It was very rare because the dealer had to write a letter to the New Haven Clock company and request it.
If you go to the 1940 Book forum you will see that I offered pictures to the editor but he said he also has one and will probably include pictures in the new book. They look the same from what you see in the car but the backside is rounded like a 40 Merc clock and it has a special retainer to match, you would see this only if you opened the glove box. I don't have the pictures on this computer or I would attach one.

supereal    -- 11-11-2009 @ 9:43 AM
  It isn't cheap, but many of the instrument repair firms can install a quartz movement in dashboard clocks. When done properly, they can't be detected, and operate by their own battery. That eliminates pulling the fuse on electric wound clocks when the car is idle. A master battery cutoff switch does the same. It is surprising how soon even a clock can drop battery reserve.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=285