Topic: clutch chatter

FlatheadTed    -- 03-31-2011 @ 12:30 AM
  any one had this problem after changing a chattering clutch to fresh one on a 34 .I still have the problem. The anty chatter rods are on.sounds like the drive shaft is wanting jump out .

oldford2    -- 03-31-2011 @ 4:45 AM
  This is a common post and appears often on this forum. If you use the search function (chatter) on this forum it will list several recent posts. Below is one of them to review. John

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2771&keywords=chatter

okydoky    -- 04-02-2011 @ 10:41 AM
  Hi John: I am having the same problem with my 39 ford coupe. I had the flywheel machined, put new pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, anti chatter rods, motor & transmission supports & u-joint.
At the very bottom of a long list of possibilities, my ford manual for this car list "play in drive shaft". I am inclined to accept this as a possibility, or maybe even a probability.I am not in a hurry to once again pull the rear end to check this out, but I will get there. Lets stay in touch & see who finds it first. Nick Kerley. nkerley@carolina.rr.com

supereal    -- 04-02-2011 @ 10:51 AM
  Nick: Did the chatter get worse with the new clutch parts? There seems to be a couple of things that contribute to the problem. When asbestos was banned, the "organic" facing of the clutch plate seems to be "grabby", and the runout (amount of off-center) of the hub versus the facing is often excessive, particularly on foreign made disks. Any driveline play will amplify the chatter, but the amount of play in old Fords is usually considerable, anyway. Over the years, I've developed the habit of starting in second gear, unless on a grade, and that reduces chatter without damage to the clutch, or at least less than lots of chatter does.

johnpoly    -- 04-02-2011 @ 4:14 PM
  I have a '36 which was restored last Spring.
I always had serious clutch chatter, especially
in reverse. I ordered the whole clutch setup
from Mac's. Now, no much clutch chatter.

MG    -- 04-04-2011 @ 4:24 PM
  Ted,

Given your famous 'Brake Floaters', I'm surprised that you haven't engineered a fix for your clutch chatter problem. It's good to see you posting on this forum.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 04-05-2011 @ 4:46 AM
  how much free play do you have, maybe adjusting so you have the least amount of play might make a difference,
also driving a clutch takes a nack,this has alot to do with it,
I am assuming you drive a automatic,full time,
I would drive the car, also might take some breaking in, wearing the high spots off,
this is asumming you checked everything else, like motor mounts,trans mount,,rear shocks,shackles,etc,
my 3 cents 37RAGTOPMAN

FlatheadTed    -- 04-07-2011 @ 5:07 AM
  .Hi MG, As a result of this I may have come up with something.I have not come across this that often,the last time was on a 34 it was because It got oil on the Clutch I put a fresh disc in and it was as smooth as . Thanks for all who posted .

MG    -- 04-07-2011 @ 11:07 AM
  Ted,

Have you checked the rubber ball/bushing/cover on the radius rod ball?

This message was edited by MG on 4-7-11 @ 11:37 AM

TomO    -- 04-08-2011 @ 12:59 PM
  Ted, is the pressure plate new also? Some of the rebuilt pressure plate are not adjusted after rebuilding.

Did you put wedges under the arms when installing the pressure plate? If you did not, your pressure plate could be warped.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2842