Topic: The Green Book

Dolman    -- 03-30-2011 @ 11:41 AM
  I see the Green Book mentioned frequently in this forum. What years does it cover? Is that something I should have and if so, where do I procure same?

jerry.grayson    -- 03-30-2011 @ 12:26 PM
  1928-1948 Ford chassis parts book. If you have one of these cars, this is the first book you must have. Lots of exploded pictures.

supereal    -- 03-30-2011 @ 12:41 PM
  I agree with Jerry. C&G carries it as Item FPS-3633, about $100. Their catalog www.cgfordparts.com has dozens of books and manuals dealing with old Fords. Trying to work on these cars without this material is like trying to drive across the country without a map, particularly if you are new to the hobby.

CharlieStephens    -- 03-30-2011 @ 1:22 PM
  The Green Book (sometimes called the Green Bible) is nice to have. It is the book the parts desk at the dealer had on the counter through most of the fifties. It covers 1928 through 1948. The main problem is that it was never intended to be a restoration guideline. It was intended to enable the parts department to find the parts the mechanic needed to get the car back on the road. A good example might be that it shows the same fan used on the 4 cylinder 1928-1934. In reality a two blade fan (several versions) was used 1928-1932 and the 4 blade fan it specifies was introduced in 1933. I usually buy mine from Faxon's http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/Search.aspx?k=green+bible&c=Last Select a Model

Note that a CD and hard copy are available.

Charlie Stephens

This message was edited by CharlieStephens on 3-30-11 @ 1:23 PM

thirtysixford    -- 03-30-2011 @ 2:22 PM
  I have both the CD and printed versions.

I find that I use the CD more often as you can enter a part number or name and do a search. It will find the first matching item and then you can click next to continue searching. You can also print out any page and use it in the shop without worrying about getting a $100 book dirty.

The CD is in the $30 range on Ebay it also has several other publications on it.

Mike

supereal    -- 03-30-2011 @ 2:35 PM
  The CD is a great idea. My old green book looks like it has been thru a war! At our shop, all of our manuals for new vehicles are on CD's now. We use a laser printer because they are all in black and white, anyway, and the printer kicks them out PDQ. One note about the green book: in some cases it lists the "service" part, as many of the originals were dropped as time passed by. That said, the green book is the foundation of any old Ford library.

Dolman    -- 03-30-2011 @ 4:56 PM
  Thanks for the recommendations, folks. Bought some shop coveralls today so as soon as I get my Green Book, I'll be a committed quasi- restorer. Henry said as he crossed the Rouge, "The head is cast".

ford38v8    -- 03-30-2011 @ 6:59 PM
  Dolman, some other tools you may find helpful: A big rock or boulder, a pair of genuine Ford pliers, and a refrigerator. Greasy welders hat optional. Sit on the rock, open a beer from the refrigerator with the pliers, and admire your Ford. Your friends can bring the nachos.

Alan

thirtysixford    -- 03-30-2011 @ 8:15 PM
  Alan

Perfect Well spoken

OldIron    -- 03-31-2011 @ 8:30 AM
  The Green Bible is often also used to describe the 1949-51 Service Manual reprint. This can be found on Ebay or from various Ford part sellers.

Dolman    -- 03-31-2011 @ 9:33 AM
  The Green Book is ordered. Now I need to find a Ford script decal for my IPA pig provided by a local micro-brewery. Probably should get a few more lawn chairs for the comfort of the viewers too, but they can bring their own pigs or six packs. Whatever turns their cranks.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2836