Topic: 35 phaeton rear springs

danliveshere    -- 03-29-2011 @ 6:36 AM
  In the efv8 35-36 ford book it says a fordor rear spring has 12 springs(this is what I have) and this will be going into a phaeton which is supposed to have 11. My 4th longest leaf is broken. Which is the correct leaf to remove when changing in this case? (do I replace the broken leaf and remove another ??) Should I keep 12? What do other 35-36 phaeton owners have that is comfortable with either 1 or 5 passengers? I plan to use 35/36 houdaille shockers. Thanks, Dan.

supereal    -- 03-29-2011 @ 11:04 AM
  Unless you are replacing or re-arching the spring, I'd just replace the broken leaf. That way, the clips will still fit. One leaf makes little difference in an old spring, because the leaves are weak from years of use, anyway. The usual cause of a broken leaf in the middle of a spring is that pockets have formed where the ends of the leaves contact the one below, causing them to catch enough to cause the break. If you have these pockets, they should be ground flat before reassembly. We like to coat spring leaves with a product called "Slip Plate". It is a graphite based coating usually sold at farm stores. The lever shocks can be hard on springs, as they often are weak and don't control rebound, particularly on lighter open cars.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-29-2011 @ 1:30 PM
  just make sure you have only one broken leaf and no others that are cracked,
check you shocks to see if they are working properly.
this is a must, everything has to work in harmony,
if not send out and get rebuilt, the ride will be much better and safer, will increase the handling of the car,
replacing the one leaf is only really what you have to do,
I saw a 35 PHAETON with new front spring and it looked like if was 4 wheel drive, it rode high,and does not have the look,
my 3 cents worth 37 RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 03-30-2011 @ 10:21 AM
  From your post, I assume that you have a new 12 leaf spring to replace your 11 leaf spring.

The only leaves that are the same between the 11 and 12 leaf springs are leaves 1 and 2 (the 2 longest). Removing any of the other leaves will change the characteristics of the spring and the ride of the car, possibly causing a dangerous condition.

I would try to find the correct spring from someone like Mike Dennis, Lowell Kimble or other suppliers of NOS parts

The 11 leaf spring was used on the Tudor, Fordor and the Phaeton in 35 and 36. The Green Book calls out 01A-5560-D as a replacement for 48-5560-B. The 01A spring should give a slightly softer ride than the 68 spring, but still work. The 12 leaf spring should work also, with new bars (spring clips).

Tom

danliveshere    -- 04-02-2011 @ 6:27 AM
  I wasn't clear about the springs. I'm using these from a 36 fordor. They are going on a 35 phaeton. I'm going to replace the broken spring and have the 2 longest reset.(so 1, 2 and 4 will be reset.) I don't want it sitting like a 4x4, but want the ride comfortable if it has 5/6 passengers. I'll do the same with the front springs. I doubt they have ever been touched before. Haven't had the houdalles restored as yet. I was sort of hoping to find a set that were already done. I'm in Australia, not sure where to get these repaired.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2826