Topic: Windshield Sealing 39 Deluxe Tudor

MDB    -- 03-26-2011 @ 12:35 PM
  Has anyone encountered difficulty attaining proper water sealing upon installation? Two piece frame was rechromed, new glass and rubber seals (PN 78-7003110) were installed. Although WS frame appears reasonable fit to body opening, light is visible between upper portion of seal and body for approx. three inches,both right and left of center post when in closed/latched position, resulting in considerable air and/or water penetration. Any solution or advice would be greatly appreciated.

supereal    -- 03-26-2011 @ 2:27 PM
  Are you sure about the part number on the seal? My catalogs say 78-701290-A, or 78-701290-BD for the seal with the molded corners, is correct for '39 sedans. The 3110 seals would be for the '40. They are not interchangable, and may account for the lack of fit. Where did you buy them?

MDB    -- 03-26-2011 @ 6:18 PM
  Thanks SR, for your interesting reply which suggests probable solution. Purchased from Mac's, most recent catalogue shows 37-39 78-7003110 for application. An earlier Carpenter version shows same number, however
MidWest shows 78-701290-A and C&G shows 78-701290-A or 78-701290-BD (better design?)for 37-39 sedan. Your comments certainly have merrit - MeThinks it's time for discusstion with Mac's Tech Support! Have you or others actually used the 701290-A (or BD)successfully? Thanks for your prompt and, as always, sensible reply.

supereal    -- 03-26-2011 @ 8:25 PM
  I found out the hard way that the seals must be absolutely correct, both for installation and performance. When I replaced the glass and seal for my '47, I received a seal that bore a different part number than the one I found in my materials. When I contacted the vendor they told me that the number was for a closed car, but ""it works for the convertible". It didn't, leaving gaps at the corners, and had to be redone. C&G shows the correct number for your car in their catalog. BD means "bonded corners". A bit more expensive, but worth the difference. We don't buy from Mac's as we have had problems with some of their items. Others say they are OK.

trjford8    -- 03-27-2011 @ 1:39 PM
  Once you get the correct seal you may have to make some adjustments to the windshield itself. To do this you will need to remove the inside header panel so you can see the hinges and brackets. By loosening the hinges on the brackets you can adjust the windshield. It's time consuming and you will say a lot of bad words.
Also check the corners of the windshield opening in the body. There are drain holes in each corner and there should be a rubber hose attached(under the dash) that goes into the side of each cowl panel. Make sure these drains are clean. These windshields leak no matter what you do, so the water needs to get out. Ford put them there for a reason as they knew they would leak and this was the cure.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2811