Topic: Shock links

thirtysixford    -- 03-25-2011 @ 4:16 PM
  I'm replacing the shocks on my '36. I started on the rear and had a heck of a time getting the shock links off.

I soaked them in PB Blaster, beat on them with big hammers, pickle forks etc. would not budge.

Jeff at Hot Rod Electrical lent me a pickle fork that attaches to an air hammer and BINGO they came off. (Lisle # 41500). However it did destroy the links.

Question is: The rear links are 3". are the front the same?

Car is up on jack stands on the rear and I can't measure the fronts.

Don Rogers    -- 03-25-2011 @ 4:23 PM
  Both front and rear are 3"

MOXIE    -- 03-25-2011 @ 4:29 PM
  I replaced all my shocks with rebuilts and yes the rear were a pain to get off. It's funny how that taper shaft locks in like it does but it sure does. When I put it back together, I put a little grease on the taper shaft and did not torque them very much. that way they should come off a lot easier.

supereal    -- 03-25-2011 @ 8:01 PM
  To prevent tapered pieces from locking from age, put a bit of anti seize compound on them. It is available at auto supply stores. One caveat: don't use it on the tapers of axles. They should be assembled to the hubs clean and dry.

thirtysixford    -- 03-30-2011 @ 3:49 PM
  Just received new links from C&G. They are from Dennis Carpenter and made in China. Look at the difference in the construction.

jerry.grayson    -- 03-30-2011 @ 5:23 PM
  Is that thread metric??

thirtysixford    -- 03-30-2011 @ 6:16 PM
  Hi Jerry

The threads do look different in the picture, but they are the 3/8-24 just as the original.

My question should have been look how big the "ball socket" is on the original compared to the aftermarket. It also does not have the rubber seal. To me it just looks way cheaper.

Don Rogers    -- 03-30-2011 @ 9:12 PM
  It looks like the shock links on your 36 were not original Ford and that the replacement from Carpenter are closer to original than what you had. I hope that I have attached images of 4 types of original 35/36 shock links. There was a stamped steel shock which looks very similiar to the Carpenter repro. There were also 3 forged types of shocks as shown. If the Carpenter links are correct copies of the original stamped steel design, they should perform ok.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2805