Topic: differential

fparsons    -- 03-25-2011 @ 9:04 AM
  want to replace my 4:11 rear end gear set with a 3:78 gear set ...need to know if anyone has input on how to adapt the 10 spline drive shaft to the 3:78 6 spline drive shaft ....

supereal    -- 03-25-2011 @ 10:25 AM
  There are couplers available to adapt the 6x10 spline parts. You will find them on page 64 of the C&G catalog. www.cgfordparts.com

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-25-2011 @ 11:45 AM
  I think you have the hollow drive shaft and are going to change from 10 spline to 6 spline,
this requires welding of the adapter,you should have a drive shaft shop do this for you,or a machinest with a lathe and welding experience,
I was lucky a friend of mine had a solid 6 spline drive shaft with the correct torque tube to go with it,I did just not want to have welded adapter in the drive train, I went with the 354-1, and I love it,,,!!
faster,better fuel milage etc, less engine-fan noise,
this is my 3 cents worth,37RAGTOPMAN

MOXIE    -- 03-25-2011 @ 4:25 PM
  Just replace the 4:11 in my 35 coupe with 3:54. Not sure why you are going with 3:78 but to each their own. It was a job finding a good driveshop that would make the changes necessary to the end of the drive shaft for the new 6 spline female coupler but I did. It meant staying there all day over seeing him but he got it done. He was wanting to take short cuts in doing the job. That's why I stayed. If you take it to a regular machine shop they will not do it. When they hear the word driveshaft they have a fear of getting sue if the shaft were to break or something like that. Again we have a guy that does nothing but drive shafts so he did it for me. The 3:54 gives you plenty of speed and very little hurt to the pull strength. In fact, except for the extra speed, I can tell no difference in driving. That's why if you are going to do it might as well go all the way and get the most speed at the lowest engine RPM you can find. And that would be 3:54.

ford38v8    -- 03-25-2011 @ 7:18 PM
  Moxie, as you say, to each their own. I pulled out a perfectly good 4.44 and replaced it with a 3.78. The 4.44 is the best you can get if all you do is drive in parades or drive up hill backwards in San Francisco. Your 3.54 is perfect for Kansas and Nebraska, but not if you drive out west. My 3.78 is a great compromise between high speed driving and mountain ranges. On the one hand, I can drive all day long at 75 mph, or I can pull the Sierras/Cascades/Rockies in high gear.

The driving backwards up hills in SF? I had to do that while doing multiple takes in a movie. I was to come down a hill just in front of a cable car coming out of the fog at night. About a dozen takes, and the whole scene wound up on the cutting room floor anyway. It was fun to see what happens behind the cameras, and to meet the actors, but I sure wouldn't give up my day job.

Alan

supereal    -- 03-25-2011 @ 7:54 PM
  We do lots of driveshafts of all kinds in our machine shop. It does require the correct equipment and the skill plus experience to do it properly. We do the fabrication and welding in a long bed lathe, and weld with a special technique to avoid warping the pieces. There are many places that claim to be competent, but none that actually perform this work successfully, that I know of, that fear legal repercussions. If anyone tells you that, it is likely they just don't know how to do it.

JM    -- 03-26-2011 @ 8:31 PM
  To answer your question more information is required from you. What year car or differential are you talking about? Which type drive shaft do you have? Closed vs. open? Solid vs. hollow inner shaft. Also, on your 3.78 gear se t, does the pinion gear have 6 or 10 splines?

JM

fparsons    -- 03-28-2011 @ 11:14 AM
  Thanks for the timely advice ...I have a 3:78 so thought I would give it a shot ...seems the 3:54 would be great, but since I have the 3:78 in good shape I will use it until I come across a 3:54 in my area ...

fparsons    -- 03-28-2011 @ 11:15 AM
  Thanks ...

fparsons    -- 03-28-2011 @ 11:16 AM
  3:54 would be my first choice, but I have a good 3:78 so will go with it ...thanks for the advice ....

fparsons    -- 03-28-2011 @ 11:18 AM
  Thanks for the support of the 3:78

fparsons    -- 03-28-2011 @ 11:21 AM
  JM...have a 35 ford with the 10 spline pinion...want to go to the 6 spline solid drive shaft from the original hollow ...closed shaft type ...

supereal    -- 03-28-2011 @ 2:25 PM
  There were two drive shafts used between '35 and '41. The hollow 10 spline was used from '35 to '38. The solid, six spline shaft was used between '37 and '41. We use the 10 to 6 spline adapter and weld it to the driveshaft. I doubt you will find a 6 spine shaft to fit your '35. Last year we adapted a couple of hollow shafts for a customer in Nebraska after a local shop scr*w*d one up. There is no advantage of one type over another that I know of.

JM    -- 03-29-2011 @ 10:35 AM
  fparsons, I will be doing the same thing on one of my '35's. I have both 3.78 and 3.54 gear sets and both have 10 spline pinions. I can't decide which set I should use. I'm not doing all flat road driving here in MD so right now I'm thinking the 3.78's would be my best choice. If you could find a set of 3.78 gears with 10 spline pinion you would not have to modify your drive shaft. I do know of a drive shaft shop in WV that can do a first class job of welding a 6 spine end in a '35 hollow type drive shaft. A friend had his done there and they did a beautiful job. I'll attempt to post a picture here. Let me know if you would like their address. Good luck on your conversion.

JM

JM    -- 03-29-2011 @ 10:44 AM
  fparsons, I forgot to mention in my last post, if you want to use a solid drive shaft and a 6 to 6 coupling you would need to think about using a later type torque tube with center bearing. Otherwise, that solid shaft will whip and vibrate in a stock '35 torque tube.

JM

fparsons    -- 04-01-2011 @ 8:56 AM
  Thanks so much for the positive input and the pics ....I will be using the later drveshaft with 6x6 coupler and T/tube with the centre bearing ...out of '39 I believe ....

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2802