Topic: turn signal flasher installation

fordmerc    -- 03-23-2011 @ 10:17 AM
  How do I install a flasher for turn signals in my '39? I plan to use a hidden toggle switch,and a buzzer. I want to hide the flasher unit under the dash. How can I fasten that "little can" semi-permanently? ?super glue?, ?do I have to make a holder?
I am assuming that all I need is the switch, the flasher and appropriate wires. Perhaps someone should confirm that also!

51f1    -- 03-23-2011 @ 11:12 AM
  The following assumes that you are going to use a conventional turn signal switch. There are generally two types of turn signal switch. One uses lights at the rear separate from your stop lights (generally referred to as a four or five-wire switch-see below). One uses the existing stop light bulbs for the turn signals (six or seven-wire switch). I guess you can mount the flasher many different ways. Generally they are mounted with a clamp that is bolted in some convenient place under the dash. How you wire the turn signals depends on what you have (this would be a lot simpler if you'd explain what you have and what you intend to do). If you have two stop lights at the rear, and you want to use those lights as your turn signals, disconnect the brake wires from the brake light switch. Run the two appropriate wires from the turn signal switch to the brake light switch. Two additional wires go from the turn signal switch to the individual brake lights at the rear. If you only have one tail light, or if you don't want to use the existing lights, you'll have to add one or two, depending on the situation. If you add two turn signal lights at the rear, you can eliminate the wires from the turn signal switch to the brake light switch and leave that wiring as it is. In that case, wires run from the turn signal switch to the individual rear turn signal lights. The parking lights can be modified to use dual-filament bulbs which requires that the sockets be changed. Or you can mount two separate lights on the front for your turn signals. In either case, you run two wires from the switch to the front turn signal lights. You also have to connect wires from the turn signal switch through a fuse (15 amp for 6-volts) to a power source and to the flasher. If you would be more specific as to your situation, I could give you more specific instructions plus a wiring diagram.

By-the-way, the 5th and 7th wires mentioned above, if equipped, connect the indicator bulb located on the turn signal switch to the flasher. This wire is separate from the wire from the flasher that powers the turn signals. It is not necessary unless the switch has an indicator light. Even then, you can eliminate these connections if you don't want the light on the switch to flash. This might be the case if you have indicator lights in your instrument cluster.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 3-24-11 @ 2:39 PM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-23-2011 @ 11:17 AM
  In SYNDERS ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS, sell a kit,for directionals, and a few different kinds with instructions,look under the MODEL A SECTION, you can call for a catalog, you can go on www.snydersantiqueauto.com and also order one,
I am sure someone will weigh in with some suggestions,
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,,

carcrazy    -- 03-23-2011 @ 11:52 AM
  The previous advice given is very good. You can mount the flasher can under your instrument panel by fastening it to your speedometer cable. Use a piece of rubber, cut from an old inner tube, to isolate the flasher from the cable. You can use electrical tape to wrap around the flasher can and the cable. You will want to use a 15 amp fuse in the line between your flasher and the power source you choose.

deluxe40    -- 03-23-2011 @ 7:23 PM
  The June, 2011, issue of Rod & Custom magazine has a good article on building your own turn signal system from inexpensive relays. The article is by Chris Shelton and begins on page 70. (Try to ignore the cover article which describes the fate of a nice '40 Merc coupe - the car is currently on eBay @ $179K).

TomO    -- 03-24-2011 @ 9:15 AM
  It always amazes me that the customizers have to take a near perfect, low mileage, unmolested car and then change every panel on the car to suit their idea of what it should look like.

If you are going to rework all of the panels, why not start with a junk yard queen?

Tom

MDB    -- 03-24-2011 @ 3:05 PM
  We recently installed a "High Tech" conversion from Mac's in my 39, (their part # A13310ATQ for 6V or A13310ATQ12 for 12V),found pg 128 in most recent catalogue or on web site. I believe the same kit is offered by several other suppliers. Incidentally, we could not find amber bulbs in 6V. The toggle switch mounts on gear shift lever and Brain Box is nicely hidden under dash. Conversion works very well, bulbs contained inside existing headlights and tail lamps.

51f1    -- 03-25-2011 @ 5:52 AM
  The kit from Mac's looks like what you might want. The price is a bit steep. If you get that, you can ignore all I wrote above.

Richard

fordmerc    -- 03-27-2011 @ 10:23 AM
  Thanks to all for guidance. I will use the rear brake lights as the turn signals, but I plan to add removable extra lights in front since I'm afraid that no one will see the parking lamp even if brighter.
I intend to use a toggle switch as the switch and mount it in a "hidden" place under the dash. I would add a buzzer to remind me to turn it off.
So all I really have is a flasher, lots of wire and connectors, and a toggle switch appropriate for this purpose.I will get a fuse.
I ordered and returned the item from Mac's since it is large and bulky and the switch itself does not adapt well to an under dash installation. The manufacturer was less than helpful when I asked about how to modify it so I could use it as I intend.
The original reply from 51f1 seems to answer my questions and I plan to go ahead and make a holder for the flasher and wire neatly (hopefully). Any wiring diagram would help, although I installed a more conventional add-on system in my Model A.

supereal    -- 03-27-2011 @ 10:55 AM
  There are many varieties of turn signals, but most follow the same wiring pattern. I have two pages of diagrams. I'll post one with this, and another on the next post, as it appears we can post no more than one attachment per post.

supereal    -- 03-27-2011 @ 10:57 AM
  Turn signals, Pg. 2. As for the flasher, we mount them on the inside lower lip of the dash. A couple of small holes and a Ty-Rap does the job.

trjford8    -- 03-27-2011 @ 1:50 PM
  American Auto Wire make a very nice toggle switch. Go to; www.americanautowire.com. You might also try Ron Francis Wiring at; www.ronfrancis.com.

fordmerc    -- 03-28-2011 @ 7:53 AM
  I have an American Autowire switch - it seems to fill the bill well.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2793