Topic: 1938 Ford Water Heater

DadsFord    -- 03-22-2011 @ 11:13 AM
  Dad bought this car new in 1938 (two door Delux Sedan 85 hp V-8), and had a full body and interior restoration some 15 years ago. It has 85000 miles. At some point in the past he had the heater taken out of the loop and its firewall connections plugged, I believe because it was leaking. I've had the heater pressure tested, and it is not leaking. My mechanic in Ga (I'm in NM) cannot determine how to connect the heater back up. There seems to be only one hose connection possibility. Any suggetons would be appreciated. Thanks, Taz

supereal    -- 03-22-2011 @ 11:44 AM
  There are two tubes on the heater core, with one to be attached to an outlet on the passenger side cylinder head, with the other to a nipple inserted in the same side lower radiator hose. These nipples are available from most old car vendors such as C&G. Hose is available from any auto parts dealer. It was a good idea to have the heater core pressure tested before installation. There must have been a good reason it was removed.

This message was edited by supereal on 3-22-11 @ 11:47 AM

joe b    -- 03-22-2011 @ 1:18 PM
  The way I routed the hoses per a factory drawing is:
The upper tube goes to the right (passenger) side lower radiator hose. The lower tube goes to the right (passenger) side cylinder head. This is the way the drawing showed it but I doubt it makes too much difference. It will still be water in/ water out.
It is also a good idea to use a shut off valve in the head attachment so you can shut the heater off in summer or if it begins to leak.

kubes40    -- 03-22-2011 @ 2:30 PM
  As no factory authorized water heater was available in '38 you may not have a threaded hole in the right cylinder head in which to install a water shut off valve.
It's possible the cylinder head was replaced at some point in the past with a 39 - 40 head in which case there would be a threaded hole for the valve.
If you would like detailed photos and / or a copy of the factory instructions, let me know and i will email them to you directly.
Hope this helps,
Mike Kubarth

This message was edited by kubes40 on 3-22-11 @ 4:30 PM

DadsFord    -- 03-22-2011 @ 9:28 PM
  Thanks for the prompt responses. The cylinder heads have not been replaced, so the threaded hole(s) may have been plugged. Please send photo/factory instructions to Tazwellb@msn.com. I will pass this info on to the mechanic currently working on the car.

Related to the earlier restoration, it was well done with the exception of the dashboard, which was just spray painted. My recollection was that the original was a simulated wood grain. Any information on this topic would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Taz

ford38v8    -- 03-22-2011 @ 11:39 PM
  Taz, There was no hot water heater available for your father's car when new. The option was a hot air heater, or none at all. Consider if you will actually need a heater in the car now, before you take irreversible steps. Perhaps your father came to the conclusion that history should not be rewritten.

Alan

kubes40    -- 03-23-2011 @ 8:40 AM
  Taz,
The hole would not have been 'plugged' as there would be NO hole.
Let me know if you plan to go ahead with this installation and I will send photos, directions, etc.
Mike

supereal    -- 03-23-2011 @ 2:30 PM
  If there isn't a threaded port in either head, you can insert a nipple, such as the one in the lower hose, in the top hose on the same side. Most, if not all, heaters were dealer installed, so there is no "right" way to do it, in my opinion.

DadsFord    -- 03-24-2011 @ 5:55 AM
  Mike: Please send photos and instructions (Tazwellb@msn.com). I've worked on this car over the years, and vaguely remember replacing a lower radiator hose that did have a two-part nipple that was inserted into a hole in the hose. There is also a valve on one of the return hoses that has a summer and winter setting (I assume this is a flow restrictor of some sort). I don't see a mention of this valve in the Owners Manual. Thanks for everyone's help.
Taz

kubes40    -- 03-24-2011 @ 11:28 AM
  I'll get the instructions to you this evening.
You wouldn't find a thing in regard to a heater in your owners manual as heaters (hot water) were not offered in 38.
That valve being installed in one of the hoses is akin to what Supereal suggested.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2788