Topic: Another fuel question

ole_Bill    -- 03-20-2011 @ 6:02 PM
  I'm running two new Edelbrock 94s on my newly rebuilt but not yet started FH. When the electric fuel pump runs it shows about 1 pound of pressure on the fuel pressure regulator guage. The fuel pump never stops running. At first I thought it was filling the carb bowls, but when I looked down the top of the carb there was gas dripping (fast) inside the carb. Any idea whats going on here?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-21-2011 @ 5:11 AM
  What ever carb is leaking, [ maybe both } the float, and needle and seat ,are not shutting the fuel off, it might be a little dirt in the system, or out of ajustment float. or fuel pump pressure is set to high,
did you rebuild the carbs,or new ones,?
this gas running down the carb is getting into the crankcase, so be carefull , this can be dangerous, depending how much gas is in there,
and will foul out the spark plugs also,
once you have the fuel problem solved you might want to drain the oil can check it for gas, it will smell like gas, and might be black,and the oil will be thin,
if it is only a little bit it will vaporise into the air,
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN

ole_Bill    -- 03-21-2011 @ 8:20 AM
  The carbs are brand new, never run. I have fuel running only to the rear carb at the moment. I removed the top of the carb and disassembled the float, needle and seat. Altho I didn't find any contaminent, after I reassembled the pieces I blew into the fuel input and by moving the float could feel the needle/seat open and close. I reassembled the carb, hooked up the fuel line and the visible leak in the carb has now stopped. However, the pressure guage is now reading 3 pounds fuel pressure and the pump still does not cut off. I tried adjusting the Holley fuel pressure regulator lower, but 3 pounds is about the lowest it will go. WTF?

supereal    -- 03-21-2011 @ 9:04 AM
  I suspect that the leakage was caused when the pump overwhelmed the float needle, or the needle wasn't seating properly. I'd block off the line to the carb and see if the pump stops. Some of the electric pumps don't cut off until they reach over four pounds, if they do so at all. This is to prevent fuel starvation during high demand. With the float valves closed and holding, three pounds is about right. We use the Airtex pumps, without problems,and they are so quiet, it is hard to tell if they are running. Often, we find small metal particles in new carbs that hold the needle open, and when flushed out, they stop running over.

This message was edited by supereal on 3-22-11 @ 8:38 AM

alanwoodieman    -- 03-21-2011 @ 9:07 AM
  are you using a Holley pump? My friends holley never seems to stop running just goes into some sort of by-pass, hard to tell if the flow is stopping or not without looking down the carb

ole_Bill    -- 03-21-2011 @ 5:09 PM
  Problem solved: I called Holley tech and they said the pump is designed to run all the time. Also, the fuel pressure guage will only give an accurate reading if the motor is running. Lack of demand allows the pressure to continue to build. This will need to be checked again after the motor is fired.

Fuel system seems to be OK now, moving on to electrical problems.

This message was edited by ole_Bill on 3-21-11 @ 5:25 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2779