Topic: star a old engine

21JIMMIE    -- 03-18-2011 @ 7:25 PM
  Will Someone Please Tell Me What Should Be Done Before Trying To Start A Engine Which Has Not Been Cranked In Over 30 Years. Thanks In Advance For Your Help.
21JIMMIE

supereal    -- 03-19-2011 @ 11:03 AM
  This topic has been covered at length here on the Forum. You can find them by sifting thru the responses. Any engine that has not been run for 30 years should be pulled out and disassembled, if it is worth saving. Much of the time at our shop we receive engines that have come from such vehicles. More often than not, most were parked because of internal problems, some more serious than others. With rebuildable engines becoming very scarce and expensive, taking a chance on just starting one may destroy it.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-19-2011 @ 12:07 PM
  I would and have done many with no problems,
drain the oil, check for any water and use a magnet to see if you see any metal particals,in it,
squirt a little oil in each cylinder and turn over by hand,if it turns free,
install a mechanial oil press guage,with new oil 30 W
in it spin by starter motor,, the engine checking the compression,
if compression is ok,and oil pressure comes up, I would fire it up and see what it sounds like,
my way of looking at it, you can always remove the engine and rebuild it,or replace it,
it also depends how and where it was stored, In a dry closed in garage, you will have good chances that there will be no problems, other then a stuck valve or two, and these can clear up with a little running,
if left outside for 30 years, the engine is probably is junk any how,and will need a complete rebuild if even possible,
what year engine is it,???
this is my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN

21JIMMIE    -- 03-19-2011 @ 2:06 PM
  Thanks For The Information . The Engine Is In A 1941 Buick Special. The Car Has Been On Display In A Dealer Show Room. 21 Jimmie

TomO    -- 03-20-2011 @ 10:26 AM
  Jimmie,

You should ask your question on the Buick forum. Ford and Buick engines have very little in common. You can find a Buick Forum on the AACA site.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2772