Topic: 1946 ford v8 convertible

carlos70cuda    -- 03-18-2011 @ 9:40 AM
  hi i just finished a resto on a 46 ford convertible anybody knows a source for the radio antenna cable that goes from antena to radio ,also a correct radiator cap picture i went to a aaca meeting and they deducted points beacuse of the cap ,last any info on sunvisors brackets and rods thanks in advance

This message was edited by carlos70cuda on 3-19-11 @ 8:12 AM

TomO    -- 03-18-2011 @ 2:32 PM
  The early 46 had an antenna that mounted to the center of the windshield. Dennis Carpenter reproduces these.

http://www.dennis-carpenter.com/

He may also have the correct 4 lb radiator cap for your car as well as the sun visor parts.

I suggest that you purchase the Club's 1941-1948 book. It can be purchased on this site or at

http://www.fordv8foundation.org/

This book will give you information on what was correct for your car.

Tom

42ford    -- 03-18-2011 @ 4:20 PM
  Wescotts in Ca has the best deal on the visor brackets. The rods are another story. The cap is a 3.5 - 4.5 pressure cap. Ford part number 41A-8100

carlos70cuda    -- 03-19-2011 @ 5:25 AM
  yes and thanks igot the antenna from em now i need the cable to connect it to the radio ,plus the rad cap i got its from carpenter but at a aaca meeting i was deducted points for that cap any light on this matter

21JIMMIE    -- 03-19-2011 @ 8:04 AM
  I Have AN Excellent 1946 conv Molding, Drivers Side, If You Need It Give Me A Call. 276 694 3981
21jimmie

carlos70cuda    -- 03-19-2011 @ 8:11 AM
  im looking for a pssngr rear window regulator and pssnger door window frame any suggestions

TomO    -- 03-19-2011 @ 8:34 AM
  Are you trying to install a cowl mount antenna? It should have come with a cable. Dennis Carpenter shows the cable in his online catalog.

I just looked at the picture that Dennis Carpenter has for the 41A-8100 cap. It is hexagon in shape and the Ford cap is round with ears to help turn it. I doubt if you are going to find the correct pressure cap at a reproduction parts vendor. You will be better off advertising on this site and at the Ford Barn. They do show up on E-Bay occasionally.

Tom

tbloss    -- 03-19-2011 @ 10:22 AM
  carlos70cuda: The Carpenter & C&G Ford Parts radiator caps are not correct, but they will work fine on a driver. Bob Drake has the correct cap for your 46,so you will not loose points. You can look on line in their catalogs and see the differences in the caps.

I would think you could get the wire from someone that sells old Ford antennas. C & G shows a antenna lead wire in their catalog. Probably would work, but would call them before you order. I think it probably is for a closed car roof mount, but still might work.

I have a 46 Conv (late) with the antenna mounted on the (Right hand) side of cowl. My antenna is not correct, but the holes are.If anyone has one please let me know. Its a 51A-18813-B for Conv. Wagons & Sportsman. I know this part of my post should go in parts Wanted---Sorry.

Tom O gave you the best advise. Get the Clubs 41-48 Book. Hope this helps...Tom B

Tblossom

supereal    -- 03-19-2011 @ 10:35 AM
  Finding the sun visors and brackets is really tough, as the brackets also serve as part of the top clamps. They are not being reproduced, to my knowledge. If you can locate them, it is likely they will be very expensive. I spent much of ten years gathering parts for my '47 convertible. Because of the comparitive rareity of the open cars, and the fact that so few survived, parts are hard to come by. This is further complicated because open car bodies were not produced directly by Ford, but farmed out to their Lincoln branch. It took me a long time to locate the correct passenger side window regulator, as they require nine turns to raise or lower the glass. Even then, we had to restore it to make it usable. As for antennas, they were almost always dealer installed. In '46, that often meant using the type with two mounts on the side of the cowl. Later cars, such as mine, used the type on the top of the cowl. Both are "correct".

42ford    -- 03-19-2011 @ 10:39 PM
  Hey Super youre off on this Wescotts repops all the convertible hardware. You can buy unfinished or completley chromed.I have an extra set of brand new fully chromed visor brackets. They have no rods, but they can be made in a lathe by someone familar with a lathe. I also have most of the attachments new aslo

dickjoFrontiernet.net

supereal    -- 03-20-2011 @ 10:11 AM
  I learn something new everyday, Ted. When I was restoring my convertible, I scoured the world for top latch parts. I'll put that one in my rolodex. If he can get the brackets, LeBaron Bonney can supply the visors or put new covers on existing ones.

42ford    -- 03-20-2011 @ 12:00 PM
  Hey I just read my post and it doese'nt sound like I meant it to. I was just saying that Wescott's in Or. sell all of the chrome hardware needed for 42 - 48 conv. Not cheap, but great stuff and they are good people to deal with. I collected many parts over the years I was working on my 42, and now have quite a bit of excess. I had a lot of advice from many of the people on this site, and Super was among the very best. Thanks,
Dick

42ford    -- 03-20-2011 @ 2:04 PM
  Hi
I did take my 42 to LeBarron in Mass. They installed the entire interior and the top. In 42 Ford used leather. They were also great people to work with, however they did not have the visor rods either. Luckly I found where I had the originals stored after they were plated by Bill metal polishing, Magnolia, NJ in 1964. In the meantime I had purchased several more without the rods. The rods are tapered and were not sold separate by Ford, They were only sold as a visor clamp assembly. They are as hard to find as the 42-48 rear side window regulators. The closed cars did not use the same rod.

carlos70cuda    -- 03-20-2011 @ 2:56 PM
  Thanks in advance I'll keep my eyes open

supereal    -- 03-20-2011 @ 4:53 PM
  No offense taken. I only wish I had the resource when I was gathering the items for my ragtop. I knew that the pieces would be pricey, but when you need something, the cost is often secondary. Over the years, I've always expected that, by the time I got a car to the place where it was safe to drive, and I liked to look at it, I would have spent about three times the original purchase cost. On my '47, I didn't miss it by far. Fifteen years, and almost 30G later, I really have fun with it. Now, if I could only find time to drive it!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2767