Topic: Dans Polishing/Chrome Adamsville, TN

ctfordguy    -- 03-17-2011 @ 7:24 PM
  Hi V8ers,
I hope to get my 1936 Radiator Grille off soon and send it out for plating. Has anyone had any work done by DAN'S POLISHING AND CHROME in ADAMSVILLE, TN?
I am not looking for Pebble Beach quality but certainly want a very presentable result that I will not be ashamed of.
Feel free to e-mail me. Any comments will be kept confidential.
Thanks,
Bruce/CT
VINOKURS@AOL.COM
203-577-2110, weeknights

ctfordguy    -- 03-18-2011 @ 12:09 PM
  btt

supereal    -- 03-19-2011 @ 11:14 AM
  Of all the pieces on a vehicle, the grille is probably the single most costly, often running into thousands of dollars for top quality, either repro or NOS, or even very good used. Many require extensive repair before plating. If your grille is intact, you may wish to first try to revive it with a good polish. We use a product called "Simichrome". It is expensive, but works like no other we have found anywhere. It is often sold by motorcycle shops and antique dealers. We buy hundreds of dollars worth each year. In hard cases, we use a soft wheel to buff the result.

MG    -- 03-19-2011 @ 3:09 PM
  Paint it Black - semi-gloss

ctfordguy    -- 03-20-2011 @ 5:25 PM
  Hi MG,
No offense intended BUT why in the world would I want to paint the grille on a 1936 Ford Club Cabriolet BLACK? I like the color Black but not for this Grille.
Bruce/CT

MG    -- 03-20-2011 @ 6:07 PM
  ctfordguy,

It's just that I have known guys in your same position who during the interim (accumulating the cash for plating) painted their grills black and liked it so much they kept it that way. I don't know about the '36 Model year, but the '37 Standard was painted black from the factory. I think it looks better black and have seriously considered painting the pristine plated grill on my '37 semi-gloss black - this especially because the car is black. TEHO though.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-21-2011 @ 6:25 AM
  hi
ctfordguy
I saw on TV , CABLE,that ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS, they sent there plating to some place in TENN.
you might be able to call them and find out,it might be the same place,
ask a few cycle shops where they send there plating too. also check HEMMING'S MOTOR NEWS,for platers,
as far plating the grill chrome,
this is the FIRST thing seeing when you drive into a meet or car show,
just about any amount you put into a open car you will get back, if you decide to sell it, and painting the grill , when it supposed to be chrome [ esp if you are going to show it,],this will give the buyer a place to dicker with you, if it should be painted , then paint it, I love the chrome,
the labor involved in removing and installing, is something I only want to do once,
my 3 cents worth 37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2766