Topic: Wiper operation

EWATERS    -- 03-17-2011 @ 5:18 PM
  I have a 1950 Ford with a 6-cylinder engine. I have reached the stage where the engine is operational and I am now trying to get my wipers to operate. I have hooked up a vacumn hose from the carb. to the wiper motor. When I start the engine and engage the wipers they move about an inch from the parked position and stop. If I manually push them through the wiping range, when they reach the return portion of the cycle they will surge to the parked position. In addition, the wiper motor appears to have 2 places to attach a vac. hose; do I need to attach a "T" hose-fitting and use both to activate the wipers. Any insights based on your experiences will be greatly appreciated; Thank you.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-18-2011 @ 5:08 AM
  under the cover there should be a valve that flips back and forth, leading the vacunm from one side of the flapper to the other side so the flapper is pulled to the other side, then starts all over again, it sounds like the flapper needs to be lubed,I think a liguid hand cream might be a good thing to lube the flappers with, squirting into the intake port of the vacuunm motor, also a little WD 40,would work,
I personlly do not think it will harm any thing,
also try moving filpper by hand,and see if the motor starts to move,
it operates similar to to steam engine,
diverting vacuunm from one side to the other,
you can also send for repair to DAVID FICKEN in NY,
Usually a little lubing will get them up and running, especailly of it has been idle for many years,
hope this helps 37 RAGTOPMAN

EWATERS    -- 03-18-2011 @ 10:26 AM
  Thanks for the suggestions. The car was stored in a PA barn since 1967 , so it has been some time since the wipers were operational. I'll try the lube option before I get more creative in my efforts.

TomO    -- 03-18-2011 @ 2:21 PM
  You can use a light machine oil to lube the paddles, the shaft that goes through the cowl and the pivot points in the drive arms. Then operate the motor without the wiper arms and blades until the motor runs smoothly. Then put on one arm and blade, keeping the glass wet with a hose to see if the motor will drive the arm. If not, repeat the procedure without the arms.

Tom

EWATERS    -- 03-23-2011 @ 1:49 PM
  Thanks for the hints; I have tried lubing the pivot points and inside the stem for the hose(s). It still doesn't work. Do I need a vac. hose to each of the 2 stems with a "T" fitting to join them to the carb. vac. hose?

supereal    -- 03-23-2011 @ 2:23 PM
  One inlet is for vacuum, the other is open as a vent to the atmosphere. There are usually two problems with the vacuum motor: the paddle seal is hard and not holding vacuum, and/or the "flipper" valve that changes the direction of the paddle is either leaking or stuck. Sometime theflipper spring is unhooked or broken. In most cases, a faulty wiper motor is best sent to an expert who has the parts and skill to fix it. Before you do that, be sure that the linkage and wiper "tower" is free. The vacuum motors are not strong, and any binding, such as a hardened gromment, will stall it, and be sure the control cable or linkage has full travel, or the motor will always go to "park".

EWATERS    -- 03-23-2011 @ 2:36 PM
  Thanks for your insight "supereal." I am relieved to know I only need one hose. As I said in my original posting, there is partial movement and then it hangs-up. When I engage the wiper I can hear air which seems to vent from the top of the motor where there seems to be three openings with some kind of screening (or maybe accumulated debris) material. Do you know where I can send the motor for repair if I am unable to achieve full functioning?

ctfordguy    -- 03-23-2011 @ 3:24 PM
  Hi EWATERS,
I have an an old issue of SKINNED KNUCKLES that goes thru the taking apart and repair of vacuum wipers. It is a great step by step article. Tells how to get the paddles moving inside without taking it apart. It is written for a novice.
If you'd like a copy e-mail your snail mail address to me.
Bruce
VINOKURS@AOL.com
203-577-2110, eves,EST

TomO    -- 03-23-2011 @ 5:56 PM
  Try Kent Jaquith in Oregon. His contact information is in a post about 39 wipers. Do a search on 'wiper' or '39ute' in this forum.

Tom

trjford8    -- 03-23-2011 @ 7:22 PM
  Kent Jaquith 2633 Obsidian Ave #15, Redmond, Oregon 97756. Ph# 541-923-4319(H) or 541-350-7426(cell).

supereal    -- 03-24-2011 @ 11:34 AM
  I have scanned and attached some info on the wiper setup that uses multiple inlets in conjunction with a valve control. Through at least '53, the vacuum wipers used both cable controls and vacuum switches. From your description, I suspect you have the latter.

TomO    -- 03-25-2011 @ 8:22 AM
  The 50 Ford Chassis parts catalog shows the vacuum hose goes to the right side port of the ww motor an the left port is left open to the atmosphere. A cable moves the on/off valve.

I am not sure where the engine side of the vacuum hose goes, but most of the cars had a port on the intake manifold for the wipers. The parts catalog does not show the ww wiper connection. The port on the carburetor was for the vacuum advance.

Tom

supereal    -- 03-25-2011 @ 10:29 AM
  I'd ditch the vacuum motor for an electric conversion, anyway, if I drove in the rain much. The vacuum wipers were lame in the best of situations. Even vacuum reservoirs didn't help much.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2765