Topic: Steering Wheel Color

joe b    -- 03-16-2011 @ 7:09 AM
  What color is the steering wheel on a 1941 Deluxe coupe?
Years ago when I restored the car I had a guy send me photos of the interior on a coupe like mine that is original with 33,000 mi. The only part of the steering wheel in the photos that show is the rim and it is gray.
I can't get in touch with him.

supereal    -- 03-16-2011 @ 9:39 AM
  My body and paint manual says that the '41 Deluxe, Special, and Super Deluxe models all had "Cotswold Grey Poly" as the color for the steering wheel and window garnish. It quotes the formula as 1pt DMA: 310=331.3, 358=413.4, 311=414.4, 329=461.5, 333=509.6, Dx98=495.7. I know "DMA" equals parts per quart in the acrylic lacquer formula. Perhaps a good auto paint dealer can decipher the rest. The most often used gray in '41 was Harbor Gray" as an exterior color, followed by Sheffield Gray Poly, a darker shade.

This message was edited by supereal on 3-16-11 @ 12:07 PM

joe b    -- 03-16-2011 @ 11:35 AM
  Thanks Supereal. I did my garnish in wood grain. Guess that was wrong but nobody has called me on it. In the photos I got from the original '41 I noticed that the rear view mirror was gray. Guess that answers that.

supereal    -- 03-16-2011 @ 1:51 PM
  Woodgrain is usually reserved for the open cars, but I firmly believe that cars should be a reflection of the owner's preference. If we can't have fun with our cars, why would we have them in the first place? My '47 convertible certainly isn't a concourse correct car, but the things we have done make it a safer and more enjoyable vehicle. I yield to no one in admiration of a 1000 point car "just as Henry made it". However,that just isn't my aim. I want a reliable, safe car that I'm not afraid to take anywhere for fear of hard starting, overheating, etc. Certainly, I enjoy the "thumbs up" and gracious comments about my car, but unless we encourage putting our cars on the road, the hobby is doomed. Buy "right", be practical regarding restoration, and
get behind the wheel!

EdB    -- 03-16-2011 @ 5:39 PM
  my 41 4dr S.D. car has woodgrain dash and windows. The steering wheel is two toned ...am told the colors are Rose Beige[ center of wheel] and Rim Tan. The steering column is the Rose beige color. Believed to be an original interior in this car, headliner, seats, doors , carpet & front mat.

supereal    -- 03-17-2011 @ 10:27 AM
  EdB: It sounds as if your car is a Super Deluxe. I understood the original question was for the Deluxe only.

42ford    -- 03-17-2011 @ 11:22 AM
  You should have A 41-48 book. They are for sale on this site. Be that as it may, the book on page 3-3 says that a 41 DeLuxe had ebony grain on the pannells and window moldings with two tone steering wheel. Page 3-5 has a color pic of a DeLuxe, but the dash does not look like ebony to me. Page 3-6 lists all the correct colors for each model.

Buy the book, IT'S great
Dick

supereal    -- 03-17-2011 @ 1:51 PM
  Got one, and you are right, it's a fine book. My father had a '41 business coupe, and the garnish was gray. On page 3-2 of the 41-48 book,it mentions "several significant interior changes" made to "keep up with the competition". With the war clouds gathering, all bets were off as domestic vehicle producttion ground to a halt. I know that gray was used on the very early 46's, as I had a sedan coupe like that, and quoted their PPG '37-'48 manual. Now, I'm wondering what is "Keloba" grain?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2753