Topic: DIsc Brakes

johnmyron    -- 03-15-2011 @ 10:14 AM
  In process of full restoration of 53 sunliner. Thinking about power disc brakes for front, as intend to drive this one quite a bit. There are several kits around at various prices. Anyone out there had experience with this?

supereal    -- 03-15-2011 @ 10:56 AM
  Chassis Engineering produces kits. Their web site is www.chassisengineeringinc.com They used to be my neighbor, and they are top quality. Making changes to a brake system requires considerable revisions, including a dual master cylinder and a proportioning valve, for starters. A 7" booster is often used by the street rodders. While discs are certainly an improvement over drums in terms of effectiveness and safety, it isn't a cheap project.

johnmyron    -- 03-15-2011 @ 2:45 PM
  Chassis Engineering does not show kit for 53. Looking at ECI-Engineered components kit plus a power brake/dual cylinder unit designed for this car. Comments?

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-15-2011 @ 3:45 PM
  Why not try just power drum brakes first, and see how you make out , with them,
It would be the easiest to do, for starts,if you go to disc bakes, make sure your wheel will clear the calipers, might need to have off set wheels,I guess it is on what size rotors you will be using,
it seems once you modify one thing it leads to modify another,
I drive a 37 with 42-48 brakes, no power, granted they are not the best, you just have to keep them in ggod shape, been driving the car defensively since 1980,no matter what kind of brake you have,having a antique car with people looking at you and pulling out in front of you, you will have to learn to drive a different way, it is a matter of getting used to driving the car,
my cents worth,37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 3-15-11 @ 4:17 PM

trjford8    -- 03-15-2011 @ 7:34 PM
  Ragtopman makes a good suggestion about using power brakes. It is not too difficult to put the power booster on your firewall and change the master cylinder to a dual type. You would have a minimum of plumbing. If you want discs I would check with master Power, ECI or Classic Performance Products. They can be found in most magazines like Street Rodder or Rod and Custom. Jamco also makes a kit, but to get anyone to answer the phone or give tech advice is a futile effort.

wmsteed    -- 03-16-2011 @ 9:39 AM
  To me the conversion to disk brakes for the average street rod/custom is over kill if the car will not be used for sustained high speed driving on the highway.
Good drum brakes with a power assist stopped millions of cars safely for many years..
My 39 conv has disk, it was built to run on the highway at 70+ for long distances. My '40 Buick 50 series 4dr has drum from a '66 Riv, my '49 Olds 88 also has larger drum brakes, both of which are modified for highway use, as does my '59 F-100 4x4.
It is true that disk brakes will stop straighter and faster but is the cost worth while for a car that is only driven a couple of thousand miles a year.
Of course the bragging rights are diminished with drum brakes.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

butchbov    -- 04-03-2011 @ 6:05 AM
  I'm not familiar with the 53, but if the M/C is under the floor like my 49 you'll have a hard time putting a booster on & keeping it.
I run front discs from a local shop without a power boost & don't have any problems stopping. I even ran it with a stock M/C for 2 years before I changed to a dual pot with no problems. ECI sells a kit to put the dual pot under the floor & it might work with yours.

Kens 36    -- 04-03-2011 @ 6:17 AM
  butchbov,

'53 MC is not under the floor. It is on the firewall.

Ken

51f1    -- 04-03-2011 @ 6:49 AM
  There are boosters available that bolt into the place where the original master cylinder is located.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2750