Topic: K&N in a '36 air filter

thirtysixford    -- 03-14-2011 @ 10:03 AM
  A while back I talked about putting a modern filter in a '36 air cleaner. I cut open a really rusted out one that I had thinking that I would explore the possibilities with it before I tried it on one in better condition. Much to my surprise, it looks like I can use this one.

I still need to add the wire screen in the inlet and touch up the paint, but you get the idea.

This picture shows the filer next to a restored original on the right.

thirtysixford    -- 03-14-2011 @ 10:05 AM
  This picture shows the insides.

thirtysixford    -- 03-14-2011 @ 10:06 AM
  This one shows the filter from a '62 Corvair inside.

ford38v8    -- 03-14-2011 @ 5:52 PM
  thirtysix, That looks like it will work for you fine. A hint for the original look : Get a copper Choreboy from the grocery store and carefully undo the electric welds so you can unfold it. It will fit nicely in the filter case along with the original wire mesh screen.

Alan

trjford8    -- 03-14-2011 @ 8:29 PM
  Great job.

thirtysixford    -- 03-16-2011 @ 7:28 PM
  Alan, I bought a couple today. They seem to be a perfect match and at $2.50 a lot cheaper than the repo-filters. Thank you for the info

Thanks also Trjford8

Mike

jerry.grayson    -- 03-17-2011 @ 7:50 AM
  Could you give us a little information on how you took it apart?

thirtysixford    -- 03-17-2011 @ 4:54 PM
  Jerry
I used an air nibbler (could have used a cut off wheel or even tin snips the rust holes were so big) and cut the filter in half roughly through where the decal is.

The lower section had a huge rusted out hole in the base where the "stand pipe" mounts. See the center item in the picture below. I used a cut off wheel and carefully cut just above the crimped lip being careful not to nick the lip. I used a grinder to get right to the lip. The section with the pipe now came free from the base. The base was not rusted at all.

I reversed this on the top and cut just under the lip and the inside top piece came off, the left piece in the photo below.

The piece on the right is a section of the center tube that was cut away showing how rusted out it was.

I made a new center section and the rest was easy.

I don't want to beat this post to death, PM me if you want more info.

Mike

jerry.grayson    -- 03-17-2011 @ 5:08 PM
  Thanks very much!!

TomO    -- 03-18-2011 @ 2:38 PM
  36ford

This would make a nice article for the V-8 Times.

Tom

trjford8    -- 03-19-2011 @ 9:39 AM
  I'll second that motion. Send it to the Times. It would make a great article for the "Worked For Me" column.

ford38v8    -- 03-19-2011 @ 7:40 PM
  Tom, is Bruce still administering the "it worked for me" column? He sent out a nice hat button for submissions that were printed. I hope that is still done today.

Alan

trjford8    -- 03-19-2011 @ 7:55 PM
  Al, to my knowledge that column is still used in the Times when there is a submitted article. I did not realize that a hat button went out to those who submitted an article. I don't know if that is still done or not.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 3-19-11 @ 7:58 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2748