Topic: 36 Rims

quabbinman    -- 03-13-2011 @ 9:58 AM
  I'm looking for 4 rims that I can mount a set of radials on that will accept the stock 36 hubcap.I want to use my Coker wide whites just for show...

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-13-2011 @ 5:01 PM
  I think you might have a problem. I have not seen any new wheels with the large 36 bolt pattern,
you might have to get a second set of 36 wheels, and use radial tubes and with liners,
I hope someone has better answers,for you,
I would run the COKERS,just keep them clean,
I run FIRESTONES WW,BIAS,do about 1500-2000 miles a year, and have no problems,
37RAGTOPMAN and Keep on FORDIN,,

JM    -- 03-15-2011 @ 5:41 PM
  Finding four good '36 to '39 Ford wide five rims should not be a problem. I see them all the time on eBay, at local flea markets and on the classified sections of several old Ford websites.

JM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-16-2011 @ 6:14 AM
  not knowing exactly what you are asking,about the wheels,and what size radials you are referring too,
there is a diference on the 1936-1939 FORD WHEELS,
make sure you buy the correct ones,
if this is what you are doing?
there is 60 hp FORD wheels 3 1/2 inch wide. 5.50 x 16
and then there is 85 hp FORD wheels, 4inch wide 600x16
the 85 are I think a 1/2 inch wider,
you will need radial tubes onn these wheels I woulf assume because of air leakage though the rivits holes,and there is not the special bead for radials
like the later wheels,
hope this helps, 37RAGTOPMAN an KEEP on FORDIN,,,

wmsteed    -- 03-16-2011 @ 9:18 AM
  If you are going to use 16" radials on a stock type of '36-39 wheel you might want to consider having a set of wheels made up using stock '36-39 hubs on new wider rims. The majority of '41 and later wheels will be 5"-5.5" wide.
Since most of the radial tires are designed to be mounted on 5"-6" rims the 4"-4.5" rims pinch the side walls of tires in to tightly which cause the tread to not run flat on the road, therefore you only have about 50% of the tire in contact with the road.
Contrary to what most people think about radials, they are high pressure tires in lieu of low pressure like most people think. When you inflate a radial to the recommended press, about 35 lbs, the wrong size rim really presents problems. If you under inflate you will get a lot of tire sway which effects the handling of the vehicle.
I had a set of 15 x 7" wheels using original hubs made up for my '39 conv so I could run 60 series Dunlop black walls with stock hub caps..
In checking around with the custom wheel shops I got prices that varied from $125. per wheel to $25. per wheel.. The $125 price was using their new centers and rims, which they cuold not provide.. The $25. was using my hubs/centers on their new rims.
A second item to keep in mind is the "back-set" of the wheel to insure that the tire clears the body, shock arms, etc.
OK,, I guess I did it again.. more info than what the average person really is interested in.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

This message was edited by wmsteed on 3-16-11 @ 9:21 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2742