Topic: 6 volt to 12 volt

wheels39    -- 03-11-2011 @ 10:38 AM
  I NEED HELP RESTORING A 1939 FORD PICKUP TRUCK I AM CHANGING OVER FROM 6VOLT TO 12 VOLT I AM USING A MALLORY DIST MY QUESTION IS I CANT FIGURE OUT THE FIRING ORDER USING THE NEW DIST I KNOW THE FIRING ORDER ON THE 6 VOLT FLATHEAD V8 CAN ANYBODY HELP THANKS TOM

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-11-2011 @ 11:31 AM
  Is it the original 90 hp with front distrubuter ?
or a 49 -53 engine with side distrubuter,?
did it come with any instructions ?
on the caps does it have any numbers ? to tell you which terminal goes what spark plug ?
I see no reason for the switch from 6 volts to 12 volts, myself...
also you will need to pickup vacuunm, is there a port on the distrubuter, so you have spark advance,
did you install a crank damper with timing marks,?so you can make spark adjustments,
are you using for racing or street driving. touring,,?
I think there will be more people weighing in to give you more advice, and maybe some solutions,
lets hear how you made out, 37RAGTOPMAN

supereal    -- 03-11-2011 @ 12:06 PM
  The firing order is the same on all flatheads. Find top dead center in cylinder #1 (the front one on the passenger side). Be sure you are on the compression stroke. The rotor will point toward the #1 plug wire socket. You then insert the rest of the plug wires after that terminal in the firing order. Be sure to observe the rotation direction of the rotor. I'm not a fan of Mallory, or any other aftermarket ignition on a flathead. I certainly wouldn't convert a whole vehicle just to install one. We have taken a number of those off when they caused problems. Of all the things Ford did right, the stock ignition is still the best.

ford38v8    -- 03-11-2011 @ 1:44 PM
  I agree with Bob. There is no better mechanical ignition than the Ford Dual Point distributor. It is also better than any Electronic Distributor unless used in conjunction with a complete computerized system.

Alan

supereal    -- 03-12-2011 @ 10:18 AM
  If you need a diagram of the various Ford ignition wiring, go to Van Pelt Sales in your browser and look at Mac's site.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2739