Topic: Rare 1933 Skirtless Sedan

BigBlockFord    -- 03-10-2011 @ 4:19 AM
  I saw this for sale on Ebay. An early rare sedan with skirtless fenders.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-DELUXE-FORD-TUDOR-DELUXE-1933-1934-/160555637178?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2561dc99ba#ht_2610wt_1167

supereal    -- 03-12-2011 @ 9:58 AM
  The "skirtless" fenders were first seen in the pre-production standard '33 fordor. The skirts, more properly "valances", were missing from the commercial models, and likely were used early in the model year because there was a strike at the Briggs plant, and Murray was called upon to supply bodies. Their commercial dies stamped out the "skirtless" type, which also used the commercial running boards, for a short time, as did the wagons. It also marked the end of the sidemount spare tires. You are right that these cars were rare, as few were released to dealers.

ford38v8    -- 03-12-2011 @ 10:49 AM
  Bob, you continue to amaze me with depth of knowledge in your possession. I hadn't known those particular facts until now myself, and had no idea of your interest in Ford production history of the early models.

Regarding the labor movement and the strikes affecting virtually all the car makers, isn't it surprising that old Henry avoided unionization until his wife Clara threatened to leave him in 1941. The power of woman over man is scary. What would the world be like if someday women decided to form their own union? I think the important issues of today like the 2011 NFL Season would suddenly be non-issues.

Alan

supereal    -- 03-12-2011 @ 3:23 PM
  Alan: Thank you for your kind words. I'm not that well versed in Ford history, but have shelves full of this info. As for women, having been married for 56 years (to the same woman) I already recognize the futility of trying to understand, let along oppose, their firm grip on our existance. I think a union would be a step down for them! You have been in my home, so I'm sure you know that I am well cared for! Clara Ford was certainly a pragmatist, as she saw old Henry slipping away into his dotage. When Henry II was released from the navy to take over Ford Motors while still in his 20's to save the company, which was a vital link in war production, she made the choice, and probably saved the company as much as Henry "The Duece".

Stroker    -- 03-12-2011 @ 4:23 PM
  38V8-n-Super:

There were a couple of articles in the V8 Times a while back by Dave Cole that pretty much
validate Super's background history. I wasn't aware of the strike issue, and obviously neither was Cole, but I do believe that Ford should have stayed with Skirtless fenders through 1934, as they are (to me) much more aesthetic than the ones with valances. I suppose- (as Cole alluded to), they were simply no longer fashionable, given that the competition was trending more and more to deep valances.

Sometimes though, right is right, but stuff gets changed because it is a new model year. To me,
the most beautiful Ford ever built (talk about wanting to piss off lots-o-people) is a 1934 Ford Victoria, and it would be absolutely smashing if it had early 33 skirtless fenders.

We see this mistake repeated over and over. The one that comes immediately to mind was the transition from the 57 Ford to 58. The "concept" was lost, and the 58 became a follow the leader
mash-up.

Dan

ford38v8    -- 03-12-2011 @ 5:20 PM
  Dan, The list of re-hashed designs in Ford's history, IMHO, begins with the 1934 model. The two most spectacular design elements of the 1933 were the curved grille and the curved louvers, both lost to production cost savings for the 1934 model. Next was the messy chrome of 1951. The great redesign of the '52 to the '53 was messed up again in '54, and look at the trouble Ford got into with the Continental on the '56 Bird!

I don't dare use the word you used, but I'm sure there are quite a few who feel the same about me now! How did that happen anyway? I thought Connelly had a failsafe G rated censor program on here!

by the way, I think the skirted '33's look better. They provide a more solid appearance. Skirtless fenders belong on an early MG, not an Early Ford V8

Alan

Stroker    -- 03-12-2011 @ 5:28 PM
  Alan:

I value your opinion. I have my own, of course.

Dan

deuce_roadster    -- 03-12-2011 @ 6:41 PM
  I helped disassemble a 33 skirtless tudor that had been burned at a junkyard. The metal was "dead" like a well used burnning barrel so the car couldn't be fixed. A shame for such a rare car. Anyway, there are LOTS of unique parts on that car. The whole spare tire mount and dished gas tank cover is different. The inner front fender panels were different as well as the front crossmember and saddle that the crank goes through, it had wings on it that short braces hooked to. The running boards are not the same as commercial ones as they were covered with rubber. The car for sale is very nice although as an early car it shouldn't have a 34 radio in it.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2734