Topic: Spinning up the rebuilt flathead

ole_Bill    -- 03-09-2011 @ 4:33 PM
  Almost complete in installing the flathead. I spun it up today for the first time (no plugs) and got good oil pressure. However when I was working inside the car I accidently keyed the momentary switch I use to control the electric fuel pump. To my surprise the pump started fluttering. The switch was off. hmmmmmmmmm
Since then I have discovered I have full battery power everywhere in the car even when the switch is off. Back to the schmatics tomorrow.

Stroker    -- 03-09-2011 @ 5:09 PM
  Ole:

Looks like you are running Chandler-Groves/Holly 94's. Have you installed power valves to compensate for the fact that you are running 2?

alanwoodieman    -- 03-09-2011 @ 7:43 PM
  it can feed back thru the alternator if you do not have a relay wired into the system

ole_Bill    -- 03-10-2011 @ 5:54 AM
  The carbs are brandy-new Edelbrock 94s. I'm not aware they require any modification because it is a 2x2 installation. Should I call Edelbrock tech help? The alternator is not hooked up at this time so I figure I've got a mistake somewhere under the dash. I purchased new harnesses and completely rewired the car myself. Making mistakes is one of my specialties.

supereal    -- 03-10-2011 @ 10:16 AM
  It is likely that the pump is not connected to the accessory terminal on the ignition switch, but to the feed to the switch itself. This is important, not only to prevent running the battery down, but to prevent fuel spillage in the event of an accident or fuel line break.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-10-2011 @ 12:29 PM
  OLE-BILL
LOOKS like you are getting there,looks good,
is this 6 volts or 12 volts,,???
you might have to install a relay,for the fuel pump,
when you wire it on the accessory termial, just make sure you do not put to many accesories on the one termial you might get a overload, and make sure you fuse it,
just my 3 cents worth,37 RAGTOPMAN

thirtysixford    -- 03-10-2011 @ 5:45 PM
  Ole

Very nice looking Flathead!

Is it the angle of the picture, or are the top radiator hoses bent at an extreme angle where they join the radiator? I had a problem once when I bent a "flex" coolant hose too tight.

Mike

ole_Bill    -- 03-12-2011 @ 6:20 AM
  The car is 6V+. The radiator hoses are temporary until I can get some metal ones built to fit the car.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2732