Topic: Correcting a title

curts41    -- 03-09-2011 @ 9:29 AM
  I know I have seen advice on correcting a title on this site before. I recently bought a car from Colorado and after taking delivery from previous owner it turns out the title has one letter incorrect. AN M was written as an A. The plate is located in an area which is a little hard to see. The state has traced back all records about 20 years and the error exists as far back as their records. They have no fix for the problem. They suggested the previous owner take out a bond insuring the title. Of couse I am located in one of the worst states for a problem of this type. CA.

I have not taken the title to DMV as yet as I know what will happen.
Anybody out there with a suggestion on what my next move should be?

Thanking you in advance.

Curt

supereal    -- 03-09-2011 @ 1:05 PM
  Here, in Iowa, the bonded title is the remedy for an incorrect or missing title. The bond is nominal, and is refunded after a specified time period. Given the amount of flim flam out there today, in my opinion, it is an essential way of affirming ownership. I once bought a car from a seller who swore the title was clear, but wouldn't produce it. I found he had used the car as collateral for loans four times. He did, in fact, possess the title document, but didn't want to stir up the former assignees. Upon getting the document, I had the car retitled to me under bond. If any of the putative "owners" showed up, the most they could claim was the bond. They never did. You can't be too careful regarding a vehicle title.

deluxe40    -- 03-10-2011 @ 2:32 PM
  I don't see what year car you have ('41?), but the correct number for most Ford V8s can be found on the frame. On top of the driver's side frame between the firewall and the front cross member for '32-'48 and on the passenger side 45 degree brace at the front cross member for '49-'51. (Trucks and later cars I don't know about.) Maybe the number on "the plate" was stamped incorrectly and the number on the paper will match the number on the frame (best case).

Also, if you are in So Cal, you could try Tony's Registration Service on Peck Rd. in Irwindale. They have helped me through a couple of out-of-state acquisitions and they are old-car friendly.

This message was edited by deluxe40 on 3-10-11 @ 2:36 PM

trjford8    -- 03-10-2011 @ 7:40 PM
  I would use a registration service and avoid DMV or the CHP. They can work through this problem and get it resolved. I had a similiar thing happen on my 40 tudor. It was one number off from the Washington title(title had a 7 and frame had a 1). The registration service got it corrected for me. They can make the correction as long as the number you have is "clear" in the DMV system.

dso72    -- 03-11-2011 @ 8:41 AM
  Curts,
CA DMV will allow you to change a letter in the title not a number. I had a similar situation and I resolved my problem by bringing the title and the car to my local CA DMV. They noted the correction and issued me a new title. DMV stated that they are comfortable changing a letter not a number. Worse case scenario, the DMV may issue a new ID tag. trjord8 has a good solution at a modest price. A lot less hassle for the same results.
Good luck.

joe b    -- 03-11-2011 @ 1:50 PM
  I am not sure how far along you are in the process. I bought a '41 in 1998 in Ca. that had the number wrong for at least 15 years before I bought it. The DMV simply copied the incorrect number on my new title and never looked or asked to look at the car.It never became an issue until I moved to Ohio which wants to physically see the number. That is how I discovered that it had been wrong all those years.
I guess it depends on how much trouble you want to go through.
Also, I agree with the others that the number is not on a "plate" but is on the frame.

Dolman    -- 03-11-2011 @ 2:30 PM
  This won't help you with your problem but it is an amusing story. I bought my 34 pickup in Florida from a guy that had a New York registration. New York did not begin issuing titles until 1972. The old registrations had a statement on them "Transferable". The line on the registration transfering to a new owner was deliberately blank because the Florida guy intended to resell it. Problem was that the serial number on the registration was incorrect. It should have read, "18-806507" but the dash was missing and the 8 had been entered as a 3. Further more, the model year was entered as 1933. When I showed up at the Alaska DMV and asked that the serial number and model year be correct on the Alaska title, the clerk said she would have to inspect the vehicle to confirm the correct serial number. The pickup was outside in a cargo trailer and it was 19 below zero. I proudly open the hood and illuminated the serial number on the frame with a flashlight. She said, "Hurry up and read it to me". I could have recited anything. I now have an Alaska title with the correct number and a vanity plate "34FORD".

Stroker    -- 03-11-2011 @ 4:41 PM
  Dolman:

Glad to hear you made it! If I need to "correct" a title, it sounds like Alaska in the winter is the place to do it.

curts41    -- 03-12-2011 @ 8:12 AM
  ALL,
Thank you all for all the useful information. I did not include the make of car and should have. It is a 1950 Mercury coupe. The last letter in the vin is listed an A. As it turns out an A was never used and it should have been an M. I am going to DMV next week to start my journey. I have plenty of vicodin and patience. And judging from all of te responses I am going to have an easier time than I at first thought.
I also have armed myself with a copy of American Cars I D numbers pinted by OldCar Mag. I did some research at the AACA library and found everything I needed. I will share my experiance with the group next week.

Thanks Again for all the help,
Curt

ford38v8    -- 03-12-2011 @ 11:05 AM
  Curt, I haven't seen the OldCar magazine list that you cite, but I do use vintage copies of the N.A.D.A Official Used Car Guide. They pack an amazing amount of information in those little shirt pocket books.

Alan

curts41    -- 03-13-2011 @ 10:38 AM
  I am going to attempt to enclose a copy of the info I received from the library

curts41    -- 03-17-2011 @ 10:08 AM
  This is a follow up to my dilema about a mistake on my 50 merc title.
Went to DMV in Modesto fully expecting a hastle as my title on a car I recently aqquired had a letter wrong. All of the feed back from you people said I would not have a problem getting a letter changed but numbers are different. To make a long story short, an inspector made note of the correct letter on the plate, I took this info inside to the person who made the initial request, she made note of all info and ordered new title. End of story. All this worrying for nothing.Thanks to all who helped me, and also all the info generated by this incident.

Curts41

This message was edited by curts41 on 3-17-11 @ 10:11 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2730