Topic: 46 COUPE ?

JIMMY46COUPE    -- 11-08-2009 @ 11:50 AM
  Hey guys things are back to normal some $$$$$$$ later. Just had trans pulled and fixed plus clutch . Also did the Radiator because it was time and things are good. Question I have is before all the issue the car sometimes jerked when rolling out of first slowly. It will happen on a incline or when I slowly pull in the garage. Now after I got everthing fixed it seems worse. Am I just not giving enough gas or is it a combo of gas and foot work on the new clutch. The car shakes pretty good. Not as bad when I give it some good gas at a normal take off its just when I need to slowly move the car forward. Any suggestions would be great.

JIMMY46COUPE

supereal    -- 11-08-2009 @ 1:11 PM
  With a new clutch, it will take some time for the disk facing to wear into place, particularly if you didn't have the flywheel resurfaced. If you have to move the car slowly, such as pulling into your garage, do it in second gear. Be sure your motor mounts are cinched down until the rubber starts to puff a little, and that your rear spring u-bolts are tight. When asbestos was removed from clutch and brake linings, the "classic" Ford shudder seemed to get worse, and brake fade also increased.

JIMMY46COUPE    -- 11-08-2009 @ 6:05 PM
  Thanks Supereal
It was my main shaft that snapped thats why is was stuck in 2nd last month and while we were in there we saw the synshronizer was going. Then looked at the clutch and it showed some age so I thought why not do it now. Also that radiator I was going to save for my winter project I said just do that as well and pull and repair and the old radiator looks pretty dam good. I have a small shop in town that really is that type of old school feeling. The owners father was a mechanic and his sons now run it.He shows you every little move he makes and is very honest. Over all it was almost 2700.00 and don't know if that was a good price but it was about 1900.00 in labor. But I got three major things done. Whats your thoughts on the price.

JIMMY46COUPE

supereal    -- 11-09-2009 @ 9:23 AM
  It is hard to judge the price without knowing all the labor and parts breakdown. All our work is done on a strict actual parts and labor basis. Our labor rate is $75/hour, which is considerably less than the area rate, now above $100/hr. All labor here is time stamped for reference. Customers often want a definitive cost estimate before ordering the work. From your description of the job, I doubt you were overcharged, if the work holds up. Old cars are tricky, as you often find lots of worn or broken parts as you progress thru the repair. In that event, we secure the owner's OK before proceeding.

JIMMY46COUPE    -- 11-09-2009 @ 9:55 AM
  Supereal
If you ever move your shop closer to Chicago I'll be the first to unpack the moving catons. Thanks for all the help in the past and future.....JIMMY46COUPE

JIMMY46COUPE

supereal    -- 11-10-2009 @ 9:36 AM
  Thanks, Jimmy. We do a fair share of old cars, mostly because it is my own personal interest. For the shop, it is a "when we get time" situation, not a money maker. Finding a shop that can actually do this work is getting tougher all the time, and more expensive, along with everything else. I'm sure this dooms a good many otherwise restorable cars to the crusher. As a "child" of the early 1930's, I, like so many others, feel this loss keenly.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=273