Topic: tubes with radials?

MICHV8    -- 03-08-2011 @ 12:36 PM
  I want to switch from 600 x 16 bias to radials on a 1940 wheel, the closest I can find is 215/70 16, but have been told that tubes cannot be installed. Any advice on what tire and/or tube works? Thanks in advance...

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-08-2011 @ 4:26 PM
  I see no reason to worry,,,if you install RADIAL TIRE TUBES,
I am sure there will be some interesting repleys.,
my 3 cents worth, 37RAGTOPMAN

This message was edited by 37RAGTOPMAN on 3-8-11 @ 4:31 PM

supereal    -- 03-09-2011 @ 8:51 AM
  Tubes can be installed in about any kind of wheel, but they must have the rubber band liner to prevent chafing. Given the improved performance of today's bias ply tires, I don't see much merit in putting on radials if you install tubes, too. It will affect the sidewall flexing which gives radials their main advantages

FrankM-RG5    -- 03-09-2011 @ 9:06 AM
  Why do you need to install tubes? The radials are tubeless. As long as the rim where the tire bead seats is in good condition there should not be a problem. Talk to Coker or Diamond Back and see what they have to say. I have run tubeless bias and radial on my 49 with no problems.

supereal    -- 03-09-2011 @ 1:07 PM
  The usual reason is that the rims have rusted or damaged beads and/or they don't hold air due to rivets, spokes, etc. The older the vehicle, the more likely that is true.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-09-2011 @ 1:28 PM
  frankm
I think your 49 wheels have the centers welded and have special beads on the rims for tubelsss tires, the 40 wheels do not have the special beads and also , centers have rivits in them, holding them together,which might make them leak air,it might be possible to seal the rivits with a sealer but never tried that
You have to be REAL CAREFUL with tires,these are you life line,nothing to play with,,
I run BIAS PLY FIRESTONES on MY 37 with no problems,you would be surpised how well they work,
also Radial Tubes are made for RADIAL TIRES,
How much difference in handling , I do not think you will feel any difference,
they are made special for that purpose,to flex with the tire,
I had a new car in 1966 that came with MICHELIN XZX's with tubes from the factory.and handled great,,,
that is my 3 cents worth,37RAGTOPMAN

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=18&Topic=2727